I want to try something but I need A little help.

STURMJ · 1880

Offline STURMJ

on: April 01, 2011, 08:08:41 PM
I got a nice preamp cheap, which means I had to fix it.  (just needed a new pot, no prob.)  Now I want to upgrade the output cap... However, I already had a couple of nice ones on hand. My idea is to use all these caps (now 3 ) and have a stitch(s) to keep them permanently in place and switch between them (internally, not on the fly) Looking at the pcb this should be easy to do.  But, I am not completely familiar enough with switch terminology to know what I need to do this.  The way that seems easiest to do this is with 2x sp3t on-on-on (3 caps) at each end of the caps per channel, connecting to the original connection points on the pcb. My problem is there must be a one switch per channel (or even one total, switch) solution. Its these complex switches that are confusing me. I have no problem figuring out switches when they are in hand, but looking at data sheets is doing nothing for me.  Is it 4p 3 position rotary switch x2 that I am looking for? What would I look for to have the whole shebang with one switch?
Thanks in advance!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 02:13:46 AM
You can leave one lead of each trio of caps connected at all times.  Then switch the one you want to hear.  You can do it with some extra wire and only one switch. You need three poles and two decks, one deck for each channel.  You want make before break contacts so it never goes open. 

But... always a but, the unused caps will probably float high and cause a thump when switched in.  If your preamp has a mute switch just use it when switching.

Offline STURMJ

Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 03:22:56 AM
Never thought of that. Thanks That's what Ill try.