Allen Wright's Super Cables Cookbook

pro_crip · 3671

Offline pro_crip

on: April 07, 2011, 12:55:44 PM
Anyone out there read or own this thing? Anyone have opinions on it either way? It looks like an interesting book but at around $60 (depending on the exchange rate) awfully expensive and before I plunk down that kind of cash I'd at least like to hear some opinions on it. Thanks for listening.

Rich

Richard J Feldman
Professional Gimp,connoisseur of Bourbon and Vinyl, metalhead

Crack, Extended FPIII, Eros, Paramount 300B's (in the midst of construction)

Tune down, smoke up

Offline ironbut

Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 09:24:54 AM
Yeah,.. I've been kinda waffling about getting the "Preamp Cookbook" myself. Any opinions on that one would be appreciated as well.

I'm not sure if you're aware that Allen passed away last month (sadly) and I haven't heard any official word about the future plans for Vacuum State. I ordered and received one of his "Super Regulators" since his passing and it seemed a little iffy whether I was going to get the kit or a refund at first. Since Vacuum State was kind of a "one man band" you might want to order anything you want from them soon.

steve koto

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 07:41:50 AM
Steve,

I think Joe Rasmussen in Australia has been handling most of the business and building for a while now, so hopefully he'll keep at that for now.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline ironbut

Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 07:55:58 AM
Ha ha,.. thanks Jim. But don't really need a reason to keep procrastinating buying the preamp book!
Thanks for the info as always!

steve koto

Offline pro_crip

Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 04:19:38 AM
I contacted the company itself and a Johanna (I'm a metalhead and I can't find umlauts???!!!) and she told me they continue on doing business as usual. When the wife of the founder tells you business as usual, that can be trusted. An early bday present to myself. Thanks fr listening.

Rich

Richard J Feldman
Professional Gimp,connoisseur of Bourbon and Vinyl, metalhead

Crack, Extended FPIII, Eros, Paramount 300B's (in the midst of construction)

Tune down, smoke up

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 05:16:33 AM
For umlauts etc. - I find it easiest and fastest to just pop a new window and google for a page in the target language - then I can copy and paste the necessary letters.

Paul Joppa