My latest toy -- digital scale for tracking force!

rif · 14384

Offline rif

on: April 09, 2011, 02:41:46 PM
Just got this in the mail today, direct from China. I don't know where I heard about this, apologies if it was here and I'm stealing someones thunder.

www.dealextreme.com/p/digital-precision-scale-with-leather-case-5g-max-0-01g-resolution-16269

Anyway I got this one (there are dozens) from dealextreme.  Never heard of them before.  But for less than $15, there was little to lose. And that INCLUDES shipping.

I bought this one since 0) it was cheap, 1) that's what I heard about, 2) the weighing platform is close the the bottom (I can't remember high school trig exactly, but it seems you need the stylus to be the same height as the record), and 3) the one review talked about turntables and said it's non-magnetic.

Is it any better than the analog seesaw gauge I use? Who knows. I don't have much to compare it against. I can say out of the box it said the 5g calibration weight was 5.01 (fixed that) and it says I'm dialed in at 1.56g. I was shooting for 1.5g during setup on the seesaw Memorex scale gauge. Pretty close. Glad I didn't spend audiogon-like $$ on it.

-david

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 02:54:33 PM
Thanks for posting.  I have always wondered about this kind of scale.  I have a more expensive one.  And I just might buy one of these to play with.

What I do know about digital scales are that the accuracy, say 1%, is at maximum weight, full scale.  So if it goes to 100g, and is +/-1%, then the accuracy is +/- 1g.  Do you know what the maximum weight is and what the accuracy is?

Something else I have always wondered about, what do you check them with?  Even a dime is not an accurate weight.  I guess we can send off for accurate 1/4g weights to verify tracking forces.  
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 02:56:18 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline rif

Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 03:08:58 PM
The instructions don't mention the accuracy, although they do state the READABILITY is +/- 0.01.  The other reason I chose this one, is exactly your point Grainger.  Max weight is only 5g, more than enough.

I also agree with you that many think that since it displays to 0.01, it's accurate to 0.01, which is incorrect. Same applies to any digital measurement display (multimeters). (Analog rules in vinyl and readouts!)

Anyway, I purchased a 5g calibration weight at the same time. I could question its precision too since it was also dirt cheap, but at some point you need to take a leap of faith. Since it measured very close to what I was expecting, I'll believe it.  It is also consistent. I measured several time over a few hours, it's always 1.56g

-david

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 03:16:09 PM
Yup, I'm going to order one and a weight.  Thanks for the heads up and I know other Bottleheads will be joining in.

I have two other small scales that I can try the calibration weight on.  And maybe I also have another weight, can't remember.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 02:02:39 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline debk

Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 05:47:03 PM
I just ordered one with the calibration weight.

Been thinking about getting one of these scales for some time.  can't beat the price

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Wanderer

Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 04:17:37 AM
I got one of these cheap chinese scales a couple years back. I think mine is from the same supplier but it has been a while. Looks the same.

Mine agrees very well with my Shure balance.

As far as calibration weight, you can trust that a new USA nickle weighs exactly 5 grams. There is a whole bunch of pencil neck dweebs in the mint who lose sleep over the exact specifications of coins. I trust the US mint at least as much as a $2 weight from China.

http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/?action=coin_specifications 

Kevin R-M

Offline rif

Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 06:19:15 AM
OK so this is encouraging. I grabbed some random coins (definitely not-uncirculated).  Or is it discouraging since I was expecting more deviation given the condition of the coins.

Coin       Ref         Actual
Cent       2.500       2.51
Dime       2.268       2.27
Nickel     5.000       5.00

-david

Offline ssssly

Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 06:40:30 AM
Bought one of these a while back as well. Looks like the exact same one. And calibrated it using coins as well. Guess great minds think alike I guess.

Has worked great for me for about a year now. FYI there are a couple companies that stamp their name on it call it a tracking force gauge and charge over $100 for the same $15 Chinese digital scale.

Offline Lee Hankins

Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 07:33:58 AM
There has been alot of problems with these scales from China.  I purchased my first one 3 or 4 years ago, went through three before the vendor went out of business.  Scale usually stopped working within the first couple of months.  I haven't looked lately but there was considerable information on the web about the quality or should I say lack of quality of this product.

Lee Hankins 

Lee Hankins
"End of the Road"
Homer, Alaska

Offline Grainger49

Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 10:06:33 AM
Bought one of these a while back as well. Looks like the exact same one. And calibrated it using coins as well. Guess great minds think alike I guess.

Has worked great for me for about a year now. FYI there are a couple companies that stamp their name on it call it a tracking force gauge and charge over $100 for the same $15 Chinese digital scale.

How about this Pro-Ject?  $109 at MD:

Offline rif

Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 12:00:40 PM
The buttons are different and mine has a blue backlight.  That's not to say Pro-ject didn't have the Chinese company make them to their design specs. But of course if they changed the buttons, maybe they specified something else for the accuracy of the electronics.

Nowadays anyone can become a manufacturer of small quantity items electronic (PCB) or material (machining, injection mold forming) through the web.  (something like one of the PCB stores or emachineshop.com, I haven't used either).

-david

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 02:30:11 PM
I just happen to have a freshly calibrated lab scale on hand. As a service to the community, I checked 10 clean new nickles out of my change tray most came in as 4.96 (5), 4.95 (2), 4.97 (2), 4.94 (1), 4.99 (1).

I tried some new clad pennies, They are very close at 2.51, with a few at 2.5...John   

John Scanlon

Offline Grainger49

Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 09:30:53 AM
2wo, thanks for checking.  I ordered my scale and it was shipped on Thursday.  I've been at Paully's house going through a list of projects and have been off the board for a few days.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 12:42:55 AM
Anyone who ordered get it yet?  I haven't.  I didn't find anything on the order page about delivery times.  And it has only been 11 days.  

Edit, I am sorting through my email and I ordered on the 9th it shipped on the 16th, a week later.  So it has been in route for only four days today.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 05:33:03 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline rif

Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 03:46:47 AM
I believe mine took several weeks.

Remember this is coming halfway around the world very slowly unless you upgraded the shipping method, which would double the price if the scale

-david