Why 300b 2.5v

shelby1420 · 8277

Offline shelby1420

on: April 11, 2011, 01:28:00 PM
Hey guys, what is the point of doing this?? My Paramounts are configured to use 2a3 and at this time I am looking at upgrading tubes, why would someone want to put a 300b 2.5v in a 2a3 amp, what is the positive of this?  Is it as simple as using a 300b tube in a 2a3 amp or is there more to it??  Sorry if this is a dumb ass question, wanna be educated before I lay out the cash, thanks all!!!

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline johnsonad

Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 02:25:29 PM
You may want to consider the EML tubes either solid or mesh plate if you have the soft start upgrade.  The mesh plates sound wonderful IMHO. 

Aaron Johnson

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 03:30:23 PM
Technically, there are two reasons to do this:

1) The Paramount already has DC filaments, but there is a bit of residual ripple on that power supply, and the lower filament voltage will reduce that residual hum by about 6dB. (That residual is very small, at 240Hz, and can also be eliminated with a 10000uF.)

2) The larger tube will run cooler, and is therefor likely to last much longer.

Aside from those reasons, tubes do sound different, and you may like the sound of a particular tube, whether it is labeled 2A3 of 300B. (Since you can configure the filament power independently of the direct- or cap-coupled circuit, one could also run a regular 300B as if it were a 2A3.)

Paul Joppa

Offline shelby1420

Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 05:14:31 AM
Thanks for the quick responses, almost positive I have decided to go with these  http://www.partsconnexion.com/TUBEFM-74498.html .  I have heard the c version for about 6 hours last weekend ( thanks to my bud bringing them over for a visit)  and loved them, took the system to a whole new level, apparently the SE (according to Chris at Parts Connexion) is the same tube but the best of the best is used to make the tube and its completley hand made, we shall see if they are worth the coin....................

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline johnsonad

Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 10:22:43 AM
Rick, that's a lot of coin for Chinese made tubes and most of the high end tubes are hand made.  To each there own but if you afford tubes at that price then all current product tubes are open (EML, KR, etc) and the great old tubes such as the RCA single plates and no longer made AVVT.   I'm not against the Chinese tubes but there are some really great tubes out there at the moment, maybe the SE is one of them...

Aaron Johnson

Offline shelby1420

Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 12:20:59 PM
Rick, that's a lot of coin for Chinese made tubes and most of the high end tubes are hand made.  To each there own but if you afford tubes at that price then all current product tubes are open (EML, KR, etc) and the great old tubes such as the RCA single plates and no longer made AVVT.   I'm not against the Chinese tubes but there are some really great tubes out there at the moment, maybe the SE is one of them...

Yup, tis a lot of coin for sure!!!  Couple things will help with this decision tho, one is the Canadian friggin mafia known around the world as our government....... to get things ( EML 2A3 for example) over the ditch to me here in Canada it will cost about $40.00 to ship and about $200.00 in "taxes",  "duty",  "air", "I need my cut fees" and whatever other things they can come up with to get there greedy little paws in my pockets!!!  All of a sudden those $550.00 EML are $800.00......... I have heard the KR for a weekend, lets just say " not my cup of tea"................... and I guess most important is that I have heard the c version of these and loved them, THE best my system has ever sounded, bar none!!!! Oh and not quite as important, I can drive 20 minutes and pick these up.......... Here's hopin for the best

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline johnsonad

Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 04:43:05 PM
All valid points and I better understand your position now.  I've heard that the SE (carbon plate right?) tubes don't ship well and if they have a warranty it sounds like a great plan!  I take for granted the lack of duty on imported items.  Best of luck and enjoy your new tubes!

Aaron Johnson

Offline shelby1420

Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 06:05:37 AM
All valid points and I better understand your position now.  I've heard that the SE (carbon plate right?) tubes don't ship well and if they have a warranty it sounds like a great plan!  I take for granted the lack of duty on imported items.  Best of luck and enjoy your new tubes!

Yup, one year warranty, no questions asked.  Worst thing is that same example given above would have cost about $15.00 to ship and about $45.00- $50.00 to get over the boarder about 2-3 years ago-- now, both are just killers!!!  Not so bad for me to send over there as I can "negotiate" the customs amount ( comfortable in this as I over pack all my pieces going out of here................)  just as an update, I have purchased said tubes and am picking them up this afternoon, I shall report back thoughts.  I would love to do an A-B with the EML Meshplates, I have heard them before at AKfest a few years back in an Audionote integrated and Audionote speakers and I believe a Sota TT, very very nice!!!!!

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline shelby1420

Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 07:56:10 AM
Soooooo, I have had the tubes in for about 7 hours thus far of listening time.  First thing are some aesthetic observations...... the height is about 1/2 inch taller than the EH Gold Grid but about the same shorter than the KR, also they are not quite as heavy as the KR tubes ( think this is due to the thickness of the glass) however the internals are much beefier in the SE's, they are extremely well built ( thinkin once you get up to these amounts of dollars they all should be tho.....).  On to the sound, here is where it counts for most........  this tube did nothing but what it should do, in other words it offered no colour, no wham or pow ( usually find that if a tube or piece of gear does one thing really really well or focuses on that one thing, eventually that one thing is what i dislike the most about it.......)  this tube however did everything exceptionally well, a proportionate amount of bass ( tight and clean and precise) mids ( very lifelike, and well layered) and precise controlled highs, non fatiguing and non offensive, however still adding a great deal of information to the music.  See what I mean, no wow, no excelling here or there nor did  it have fantastic this or that, it did offer however the most well balanced and multi layered sound I have ever had the pleasure of listening to, wonder if the tubes will break in, interesting to see what happens if they do........................  I have left out all the buzz words and jargon in describing these tubes( dynamics/speed/accuracy/focus etc etc) as I'm thinking all of them at this level will have these attributes.  Next I am trying to convince my one buddy with the KR tubes to come back for a direct A-B and then to get him to convince his friend ( he has a set of the EML Mesh plates) to come down and do an A-B-C...................
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 08:01:13 AM by shelby1420 »

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 06:23:03 AM
So, what would be the power output with a jj 2a3-40 or similar when used in the paramount configured as a 300b, but with the filament voltage set to 2.5v?

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline shelby1420

Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 06:26:04 AM
So, what would be the power output with a jj 2a3-40 or similar when used in the paramount configured as a 300b, but with the filament voltage set to 2.5v?

-- Jim

My understanding ( limited ) is that the power output would be 8 watts, swear I can remember this spoken about by Paul........

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 12:31:25 PM
nt

Paul Joppa