HD Tracks

John Roman · 2062

Offline John Roman

on: April 13, 2011, 04:55:49 PM
I've been using HD Tracks almost exclusively to download hi-rez audio. So far a decent service. Any others worth checking out?
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline xcortes

Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 05:11:11 PM
I ordered many of the HRx discs d

Xavier Cortes

Offline ironbut

Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 07:17:44 PM
I've been downloading hi rez albums for a while now. At first Linn Records was just about the only game in town. They're pretty $$$ but some of the music is very good (particularly the classical music played with period instruments/ensembles).
There were a couple of other classical only sites but for the most part, HD tracks is distributing those labels titles now.

I've really enjoyed a couple of albums I got from iTrax http://itrax.com/Pages/PostSignUp.php . The "Order of Distinction" is fantastic reggae/ska. It has a heapin' helpin' of charm IMHO.

Another source of downloads is joining B&W's Society of Sound  http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Society_of_Sound/Society_of_Sound/Music.
The music is recorded at Peter Gabriel's studio and even though it's usually 24/48, it seems like most of the music has been processed gently. It's a pretty good deal if you like a variety of genres and I like the idea that it gives promising performers a stage to "spread the word". They've also been releasing several recordings of the London Symphony with Davis, Haitink and others conducting. The sound on these has been a little disappointing to me.

If you enjoy recordings of concert recording, Wolfgang's Vault is a cool spot to visit http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/. Not hi rez and there was some issues regarding copyrights of these recordings but they are lots of fun. I do like to pay a visit there from time to time and stream recordings. Be sure and check out the recordings of the 1959 Newport Jazz Festival. These were recorded to 3 track tape for reasons unknown and the mics pick up lots of very cool banter between the performers,.. the Count Basie stuff is killer and they just posted some Coltrane!

For the most part, I think that HD Tracks is doing a fine job. I just downloaded "Gimme Shelter" in 24/96 a week or so ago and it sounds pretty good. In fact, I don't really think that many of the most loved rock/pop albums have a whole lot more to them than a carefully done remastering to anything higher than 24/48 will yield.

steve koto

Offline John Roman

Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 05:54:15 AM
Thanks iron man,
All interesting stuff.
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 02:09:52 PM
I shop HD Tracks regularly.  In the last few months, they have been releasing many key recordings by well know artists that really help round out the music collection. This is an area that has been missing while jazz and classical have had good selections on HD Tracks and Linn.  One "non" hi rez recording that sound fantastic from HD Tracks is the Cowboy Junkies "Long Journey Home Live" album.  The HD Tracks download copy is really nice...

John

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline Yoder

Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 04:08:17 AM
What kind of internet connection are you using, and what are the download times?

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 04:53:54 AM
Yoder,

I recently downloaded 4 albums - one 24/192, and the others 24/96 or 88 -- Waltz for Debbie, Slowhand, the new Paul Simon album, and Sonny Rollins' sAxaphone Colossus, and it took 4-1/2 hours total.  I'm on a business comcast connection with 16mb down and 2 mb up, but I share it with 30+ other homes, and that includes maybe a dozen or so others, who like my wife and myself, work from home.  If I had my own line, I'm sure it would go much faster.

HTH,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)