Best Soundstage HD650/HD600 or Beyer Dynamic DT880 /600 ohm

castelletti · 19167

Offline castelletti

Looking to get a set of phones for an upcoming Crack build.  Money is an issue and need to keep it around $400.

Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to listen to the HD650/600, and while I did hear the DT800s it was the 250 ohm version in a noisy guitar center being driven by an iPod shuffle.

I tried  the Grado RS-2's and SR325i's.  Great detail - but found them way too forward for my liking with no real soundstage to speak of, sounded like a straight line through my ears.  I was unimpressed.  As a musician I know what it sounds like on stage and it never sounds as good on stage as it does in the audience (to me anyways). 

All that being said I am looking for a set of phones that deliver a wide and deep soundstage with good detail and imaging.  I listen to mainly 60's jazz and classic country music as well as classic r&b.

I'm open to any and all suggestions.  Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 04:49:19 PM by castelletti »

Offline John Roman

Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 04:05:18 AM
Hey Castelletti,
I recently purchased a pair of HD 650's from an Ebay seller (Razordog). Paid $359 + $5.95 shipping. So at least budget wise that would seem to fit your needs. This is actually my first experience with what I would consider high end headphones. I'm currently awaiting the delivery of a Crack/Speedball OTL and purchased these in anticipation of the new amp. My only use thus far of the 650's is through my laptop  mostly listening to online radio (Pandora). I can't say I'm thrilled at the sound but there are a couple variables still in play. The convenience of having the phones at my desk definitely has me listening more. I'm also anticipating a significant increase in sound quality when I complete the new amp, but at this point I just have no idea how significant that may be. I'm currently listening to Jazz from the 50's and 60's. Miles Davis, Bill Evans, Herbie Hancock and many others. I don't stray too much but do enjoy many types of music. Currently listening to Antoine DuFour (Existence) and it sounds nice, just no wow factor......yet! The 650's are not of the noise canceling variety of phones as you may already know. This has a different tone than the canceling variety. Not sure how fellow audiophiles would compare these but it is something to consider. I also assume these phones will require some "break-in", which I can't detect much of yet. My best advise would be to try an listen to whatever you consider top contenders.  That can be difficult I know. I would also suggest listening to a pair of HD 600's. Available for under $300 new and perhaps even less expensive at http:/www.head-fi.org
or places similar. I hope this helps, good luck and enjoy that Jazz!
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline castelletti

Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 03:20:51 PM
Hey John,

Thanks for the insight.  It would seem he have very similar tastes in jazz.  I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the HD650 after the burn in, even moreso to the Bottlehead Headphone kit.  Take care!

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
I have a DT880 and an HD600 and I would say the HD600 has the larger soundstage.  The DT880 is a partially open can where the HD600/650 are fully open so they have a bit wider presentation.  I also prefer the soundsig of the HD600 to the Beyers on most genres.

Offline castelletti

Much appreciated.  I pulled the trigger on the HD600's today and am looking forward to checking them out for a while and then upgrading the cable.

VERY much looking forward to see what Doc is cooking up with his headphone project.

Offline Armaegis

Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 10:26:08 AM
Really late to the game here, but I just wanted to add that the Sennheisers are a much better match than the Beyers on the Crack. The Beyers are good (and I typically don't like Beyers) and the Crack gives back some of that much needed midrange, but in my opinion the Senns are simply the better sounding pairing.

Offline Henry2011

Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 03:07:53 AM
You will not be disappointed with the HD600s.  They are superb (wonderful sound-stage - very life-like reproduction - a great value).  I believe a person would have to spend a fortune on source equipment (cartridge, tonearm, turntable, phono-preamp, and headphone amp) before the HD-600s would be the limiting component in their system.  I drive mine with a SEX amp.  I have an EROS on order (to replace a Music Fidelity V-LPS) .  I'm currentlly considering an upgrade to my turntable (likely a VPI Classic 2 with Grado Master or Sonata to replace a CJ Walker 55, Linn Basik, Grado Prestige Gold 1 setup).  I have not yet considered interconnects (another big chunk of change).

NOTE:  The HD-600s are "open" headphones.  You will hear outside noises and others will hear what is being played.

Offline tubeglow

Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 04:35:07 AM
Save your money on interconnects and get some from Blue Jeans Cable. Monoprice or make your own. Cables are one of, if not the largest source of income for the "audiophile" companies that make them but they have yet to prove they make any measurable difference. Placebo effect not included.

As for the headphones mentioned in this thread, I've owned the HD 600's and currently have the DT880's and I prefer the latter. The Sennheisers are pretty good but I like the clarity and highs better than the Sennheisers plus the Beyerdynamics have better bass.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 05:24:23 AM
I'm all for folks using bang for the buck components, and Blue Jeans cables are great bang for the buck. But I will just mention that the Monoprice cables that look like more expensive cables have turned out to be measurably and audibly rolled off when we use them in the lab with higher output impedance sources like a Seduction or Eros, or connected from a phono cartridge or tape head. They look nice but really kinda suck. We only use them in non-critical applications.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.