C7 Unpolarized Power Cord

Yoder · 12582

Offline Yoder

on: April 21, 2011, 03:23:22 PM
Google C7, and I get a lot of info on playing C7 chords in the blues and jazz inversions, but not much to help me with my power problem.

I would like to make a C7 unpolarized power cord, but am not 100% sure how to best go about it. Intuitively, it seems like it would be a simple build. Is it actually as easy as it seems, and is there really very little to worry about assuming the workmanship is good? Am I correct in assuming that I just solder the wire-1 to contact-1, and wire-2 to contact-2 on both ends? Also, if I wanted to shield the cable would it be safe to use the ground of the 3-prong plug for grounding the shield or is this considered unsafe/unacceptable for a unpolarized C7?

Thanks.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 06:19:29 AM
I'm unfamiliar with the C7 power cord thing.  Power cords, yes, but C7 I don't get.  Can you fill us in?

Offline Yoder

Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 06:42:36 AM
My bad. It is actually an IEC power cord with a C& adapter.

Below is the adapter:
(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2F5%2F50%2FIEC60320_C7.jpg&hash=7cfc8e3bb15e86349a54b029dcaaa849bbbc30f4)

Here is an image similar to one that I would like to build:
(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.audioadvisor.com%2Fimages%2FPSJEPCC7.jpg&hash=fb60226d4d24e4e7c1e9b725c8183648b8243cf8)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 11:36:30 AM
I have seen these for sale at Mouser and other large house suppliers.  I don't know if I own anything that uses them, but couldn't be sure.

My SACD/CD/DVD player uses a non-grounded but polarized IEC plug and wire.  Odd not to have a ground on a piece of equipment I'm using for audio.

I wonder why Philips did that?

Offline Yoder

Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 04:32:48 PM
It is the same type of power cord used on MacMini's. Rather odd that Apple would use one of these on not only the Mini, but the Mini Server as well. I just want to replace the piece of junk that my Mini uses.

Offline Koda

Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 04:12:20 AM
I have ordered various items from Cryo Parts in the past, and they have been quick to respond.
The C7 type plugs are not too common as an aftermarket upgrade part, however Furutech makes a very nice one with gold or rhodium plating.
     K.

http://www.cryo-parts.com/index.php/furutech-c7-connector

Kevin Erickson

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 05:04:20 AM
Yoder,

Yes, I have a PC for my mini made from a furutech C7, but the body was modified so that you can get the ethernet cable in the mini when the power cord is plugged in -- ethernet works much better when the computer has power :-) ).  My cable was made by Pi Audio group, and was not cheap, but made a very substantial improvement to the mini's sound.  I think hubbel also makes a c7, and that too is a good improvement over the stockcable.  Also, have you tried flipping the power connector on the mini end?  That can change the sonic presentation somewhat too.

That said, there are a couple of folks playing withlinear DC supplies for the mini, and one of my friends heard a prototype of this and said it unbelievably good and takes the whole mac mini thing to a new plateau.  FWIW.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Yoder

Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 10:50:43 AM
Mucho gracias for the responses.

Regarding the network port...I use wireless so that is not an issue, but I am curious how the body was modified to accommodate the Furutech. I have an Airport Extreme router, and it has the best range I have ever experienced on a consumer router. The speed of the thing just smokes. The AE is on the top floor and I stream Netflix to a wireless computer on the 2nd floor that is on a diagonal of max distance from the AE and have never had issues, even when 4 different computers have been streaming simultaneously (an intentional test.)

The second party cords are a bit pricey, so I thought I would build my own. I was looking at the stock cord today and it just exudes the stench of "crap." It looks and feels more like a ribbon antenna than a power cord. Once I build my BH IEC power cord, I am going to try it on my iMac (it serves as a TV, DAW, audio playback, browsing, and limited development computer) and see if it makes much of a difference. The iMac power cord is a little better quality than the Mini, but not by much.

Here's a question: in building a C7 power cord do you think the gauge of the wire will matter? Just from looking and feeling the stock cord, my guess is that it is around 18-20 AWG. I just may track one down and dissect it to see what Apple is using.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 04:00:25 PM
I think the basic idea with the furu connector is to leave the outer body off and cover the exposed parts with apiece of pvc pipe or something and then fix it in place somehow and then put some heavy duty, glue lined heat shrink over it.

For a mini, I'd think the basic bottlehead power cord recipe minus the ground run will work really nicely.  two twisted pais, twisted together and one wirefrom each pair connected together -- making sure one pair is tited clockwise and the other counter-clockwise.  20 gauge each conductor resulting in a 17 gauge aggregate gauge per leg.

Grainger, a c7 is also known as a "figure 8" connector, and your tv and/or dvd player probably has one on it.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 04:06:41 PM
I think you are right, the TV probably has one also.

Offline Laudanum

Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 03:15:51 AM
My SACD/CD/DVD player uses a non-grounded but polarized IEC plug and wire.  Odd not to have a ground on a piece of equipment I'm using for audio.

I wonder why Philips did that?

I have a CD player as well that has an IEC input socket and uses an IEC connector and 3 wire grounded cord and plug, but the ground is lifted inside of the chassis.  The ground wire is actually there but it isnt connected inside the chassis, intentionally by the manufacturer.  I think it's the Dynaco CDV-1 (or 2, whatever was the less expensive one).  I think it also used a Philips transport.  As a side note, I have 3 tube CDP's, all relatively lower priced players, no high enders (Dynaco, AH Tjoeb 99 and the second Jolida (903 I think).   Come to think of it, I dont think the Jolida uses a 3 wire cable,  I think it uses a 2 wire removable polarized cable with a connector/socket like or similar to the type pictured.  And the Tjoeb (Marantz) has a captive 2 wire cord with polarized plug.  When I initially acquired the 3 players, in addition to scratching my head regarding why the Dynaco would bother with an IEC entry and a 3 wire cord just to lifting the ground internally,  I remember wondering why NONE of them used 3 wire cords with seperate ground.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 03:17:38 AM by Laudanum »

Desmond G.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 03:19:57 AM
If it has tubes, as I would expect a Dynaco product to, the chassis should be grounded for safety sake.  I don't think UL would approve otherwise.  I may be wrong.

Offline Laudanum

Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 02:09:36 PM
You're probably right but ground from the iec entry was not grounded to chassis.  I dont remember if I remedied it or not, I bought it new what had to be 10 years ago or so. 

Desmond G.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 03:33:13 PM
It's complicated.

UL requires that products be double insulated before they approve an ungrounded device. That means (as I understand it) that there is no single failure that would result in he chassis being connected to the wall socket. Understand I'm no safety engineer, just reporting what I remember having read.

If you have grounds, then you can get "ground-loop" hum. This happens when the grounds of different equipment is not exactly the same, or when the grounds and interconnects make a loop and there is an AC magnetic field present. Also, if you have grounds, then your equipment is probably unsafe unless your house wiring also is grounded. Correctly grounded, that is - zero tolerance for imperfect electricians. The liability alone could drive manufacturers to double-insulate everything.

Of course there are other ways for hum to introduce itself in ungrounded equipment, so it's no panacea. But you can see that there are reasons some gear might be ungrounded.

Paul Joppa

Offline Grainger49

Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 11:55:51 PM
BTW, it is easy to test if the outlet is properly grounded, use a tester with lights that indicate proper or fault conditions.  The key is if your house's grounding rod is installed properly.  I salt and water mine once a year to insure that the rod has electrolytes.  Mine is not under the house eave.  If it were I would water more often.