iPhone audio tools

John Roman · 4520

Offline John Roman

on: April 23, 2011, 08:35:49 AM
Was reading TAS and they had an amazing article about some of the capabilities of Apples "i" format. Check this out:
www.studiosixdigital.com
Pretty cool,
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline Yoder

Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 11:17:38 AM
This little device here may be just the thing to push me to buying an iPad http://www.oscium.com/products/imso-104

It is interesting how since the iPad was introduced, how many manufacturing related apps/hardware have been developed. From the various business/economic reports that I have read a lot of manufacturing and medical industries are adopting the iPad, and many are replacing the desktop PC with it...not good for those industries that are built upon the Windows platform. This begs the question: is Apple becoming a monopoly?

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 07:09:16 AM
This little device here may be just the thing to push me to buying an iPad http://www.oscium.com/products/imso-104

It is interesting how since the iPad was introduced, how many manufacturing related apps/hardware have been developed. From the various business/economic reports that I have read a lot of manufacturing and medical industries are adopting the iPad, and many are replacing the desktop PC with it...not good for those industries that are built upon the Windows platform. This begs the question: is Apple becoming a monopoly?

Well, after the entire history of the PC up to now having Microsoft in the monopoly position, it may be good to see Apple there. At least they have a sense of humor built into the corporate structure. And the iPad is a wonder, my doc uses one...... an essential tool!
(http://)
Cheers, Hank

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 03:50:08 AM
John and Yoder,

Very cool finds!  You won't believe this, but in the past few days I've been wondering about the availability of such things for the iPod Touch/iPad, and after checking these out, I'm very glad to see these sorts of things becoming available.  I have an iPod Touch 4g, and just very recently got a new iPad2, so now to see how much of this stuff will work with VoiceOver.

I also found this digital multimeter for the Pod/Pad that will be coming out in a few weeks:
http://www.redfishinstruments.com/

I'm reserving mine today.

John, I also checked out the audio tools, but it looks like the iAudioInterface box is no longer being made, so don't know how useful this software is without it.  Maybe they have a new one in the pipeline?

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline johnsonad

Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 12:21:52 PM
I was looking at this too Jim but without a calibrated mic it's about useless.  An RTA of some sort is on my radar this year.  It would be nice to find something accurate that will interface with the iPad....

Aaron Johnson

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 12:27:12 PM
Aaron,

Understood.  However, some sort of external I/O box like the apparently discontinued iAudiozInterface, should be able to support a calibrated mic.

I was going to ping you about this knowing about your crossover issue.

BTW, my tractrix mid-horns are ordered, as are the Klappenberger crossovers.  Talked it through with a couple of others who did more or less the same thing as I want to do, and said that it is a great approach and the end results are outstanding.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline johnsonad

Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 12:36:27 PM
Jim,

That is why I gave up on the crossovers for now.  Too much adjustability without an accurate way to measure the results and I'm not a "golden ear".....  There is some great freeware out there but I don't want to invest in something that will not scale with future technologies.  I've been waiting for a nice little black box with calibrated mic that will work with a laptop or iPad, etc...  There has to be a market if only at a professional level. Something portable would be nice too.....

Congrats on your speakers!  Hopefully you hear what others are hearing too in them! 

Aaron

Aaron Johnson