Seduction for Microphone. Good idea?

xcortes · 2111

Offline xcortes

on: April 25, 2011, 08:59:51 AM
I'm planning on modifying a Seduction as a microphone preamp. Is it a good idea or should I get something designed for that specific duty? I was thinking a Manley tube preamp but then I though BH should be good.

The idea is to connect the first stage plate (T27/T37) to the 0.1uF coupling capacitor, with the five components in between removed and replacing the 1M grid resistor for the second stage with a 100K potentiometer to adjust gain.

I plan on using a pair of Harman Kardon XT-3 microphone input transformers. These have a 500/600 ohm CT primary and a 50,000 ohm single ended secondary.

I will go from there to my ATR and to my PM2 in parallel. I Already have scored a pretty nice Neumann tube stereo mic and already have an artist willing to give this a try.

Thanks!

Xavier Cortes

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 10:02:11 AM
PJ uses a Seduction with his B&K mic. But see how much output you get from the Neumann (SM-69?) before deciding you need more gain. A lot of condenser mics are pretty hot.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline xcortes

Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 10:13:17 AM
SM69 indeed. A late 60s specimen serviced by A Grosser. It would be great if it could go directly to the recorder. I'll wait and see then.

Thanks!

Xavier Cortes

Offline keto

Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 05:08:41 AM
The super mic + a step-up. I like it!

Tom Jones