Are Professional Certification/Memberships worthwhile?

Mudhiker · 1318

Offline Mudhiker

I know there are a lot of people on here with experience in the industry.  I've got eight years as a Coast Guard Electronics Technician and now after several years away from sparky stuff I've landed a civilian job as a Test Technician.  Basically I screen circuit boards before final assembly and shipment, and troubleshoot them if they fail.  I've got some pretty cool toys, including a flying probe tester.

What are the pros and cons of getting Certs and joining professional organizations?  I became aware of ISCET after a job listing required some of their certs.  IEEE also come so mind.  Goodness, dues are expensive!  Anybody have any good words on the subject?

Thanks,
Isaac
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 02:47:44 AM by Mudhiker »

Isaac Gorton

Offline tubeglow

Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 06:02:27 AM
I can't speak to whatever certification you'd get for that position, but in general when an employer sees a certification that indicates you should know what you're doing. Lots of people could pass a course or even get a degree but the certification tests I've taken have been very specific and pretty rigorous. It might also help when it comes to pay raises too. If you're already hired w/o a certification it might not help much now but if or when you change jobs it could come into play.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 12:05:29 PM
I have in the past been a member of the ASA, AIAA, and AES. These are mainly academic organizations; they make most of their operating expenses by selling journal subscriptions to university and other libraries. (You think dues are expensive? Look at the library rates for the journal!!) They put on conferences where technical papers are presented; these papers feed the Journal. Academics and corporations get some prestige from publishing, but no money - in fact there are usually fees for reprints of your own article. Often universities and corporations will pay for attendance at these conferences, especially if you are presenting a paper.

If you are not writing papers for the conferences and journals, then your benefits of membership are a low price on journal subscriptions and discounted fees to attend the conferences. The other advantage, with some societies, is there may be local chapters which have meetings, typically monthly or quarterly. These can be quite worthwhile; there is usually a presentation and always a chance to network and "geek out" with others that share your interests. Many of these local chapters are open to people who are not, or are not yet, members of the parent society. I think it's a good way to try it out, it's how I started.

Incidentally, as an undergrad I participated in some oceanographic cruises on Coast Guard ships. The ETs were very knowledgeable and helpful, and saved our bacon more than once. It was a privilege -and an education - to work with them.

Paul Joppa