Seduction problem, LEDs don't ligh up and cold filaments

Dachax · 3573

Offline Dachax

Hello to all
I finished assembling my Seduction and I find problems to make it work so I would like to ask for help to experienced members of forum.
I want to mention that my Seduction has  toroidal custom made transformer for 230V in case it has something to do with problem....
I install the valves and tried to put it on but I find LEDs not glowing and filaments were cold.Fuse is ok and it wasn't smoke from any part.
I done the resistance check and all values are in the range of 15% except for A3,B3 and A8,B8 where my digital instrument show any resistance on 20M range.None of  * signed values is 0ohm.
I need any suggestion to fix this problem
Thank you

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 04:57:03 AM
If the tube heaters aren't glowing make sure you get a voltage of about 6VDC when you measure from A4 to A5 and from B4 to B5. If you do not measure 6V across those tube heater pins you may need to go back and make sure that the heater supply secondary of your custom transformer is connected to the heater supply components properly.

Also, do all of the voltage measurements in the checkout section of the assembly manual and let us know any readings you get that are not within 15%.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Dachax

Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 06:59:46 PM
Finally I found a problem, one resistor wasn't solded good so I resoldered it again and LEDs ligt up and filaments starts to work.
I did voltage check and there are some readings  where I found some differences beetween right and left channel,I am not sure its ok for good functioning!?
I don't have a turntable in this moment so I don't know really if any sounds would come out.
Any tips?

Terminal/refference v./measured v
6 / 6.5 /6.21 vdc
9 / 6.0/ 5.56 vdc
27,37 / 70 /69.7 79.5 vdc
29,39 / 70/ 69 78 vdc
30,40 / 70/ 68.7 78.7 vdc
A6,B6 / 70/ 68.2 78.5 vdc

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 08:37:08 AM
Those are all acceptable values. The heater voltage (5.56vDC) is a bit low, and it might be worthwhile to reduce the 1.2 ohm resistor (T6 to T9). You can install a parallel resistor of 3.3 or 3.9 ohms, 1 watt minimum rating, and see if that does not get the voltage closer to 6.0 volts. You can do this with clipleads and a selection of resistors until you are sure you have the desired voltage. The voltage should be in the range 5.7 to 6.3 volts; I intended 6.0 volts +/-0.3v in the initial design. Increasing the heater voltage will bring the plate voltage down slightly.

Paul Joppa

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 10:23:44 AM
I would be inclined to let the tubes cook in for a day or two and remeasure the heater voltage before changing the resistor.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Dachax

Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 08:33:33 AM
I would be inclined to let the tubes cook in for a day or two and remeasure the heater voltage before changing the resistor.
I turn on Seduction and will let it work for day or two as you recomended,will let you know whats happening...
Thanks

Offline Dachax

Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 07:11:30 AM
After two days  of continuous functioning nothing changes,voltages are the same as before.
I will try the solution with resistors as Paul Joppa recomended

Offline Dachax

Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 10:13:23 AM
Those are all acceptable values. The heater voltage (5.56vDC) is a bit low, and it might be worthwhile to reduce the 1.2 ohm resistor (T6 to T9). You can install a parallel resistor of 3.3 or 3.9 ohms, 1 watt minimum rating, and see if that does not get the voltage closer to 6.0 volts. You can do this with clipleads and a selection of resistors until you are sure you have the desired voltage. The voltage should be in the range 5.7 to 6.3 volts; I intended 6.0 volts +/-0.3v in the initial design. Increasing the heater voltage will bring the plate voltage down slightly.
Finally I put a 3.3ohm resistor as you recomended and the heater voltage goes to 5.98V, I hope this will be enough.Next step is to connect the Seduction and try to see if it is ok...Thanks for suggestions to all.