Bottlehead line level tube buffer?

SPaulMac · 4152

Offline SPaulMac

on: May 08, 2011, 07:28:38 AM
I understand these are a bit smoke-and-mirrors, but any chance of Bottlehead producing a line level tube buffer a la the old Musical Fidelity X-10 units? I'm playing high bitrate files from a MacBook Pro via an HRT Music Streamer II into an all solid state system and it sure would be nice getting a bit of tube glow in there somewhere (the heat output of tubes being scientifically proven to provide the "warmth" of tube playback ;-) ). And if the answer were to be say, no, any possibility of modifying the Quickie circuit to act as such? Having finished all my kits, I'm having a little trouble letting go of DIY. :-)

Stephen Morris

Shure V15-VMR
Rega Planar2
Bottlehead Seduction
Marantz SA8260 SACD
Pioneer RT-707
MacBook Pro via HRT Music Streamer II
Adcom GFP-565
Adcom GFA-555
Magnepan MMG
Bottlehead Crack
AKG K501

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 11:12:29 AM
I think that the Quickie would pass for the buffer.  It is a single stage, Pentode IIRC.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 12:33:08 PM
As near as I can tell, the old X-10 was a two-stage preamp with huge feedback to reduce the gain to nearly unity. Not something I'd expect to sound all that great, though tastes do vary.

Paul Joppa

Offline SPaulMac

Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 03:55:36 PM
In all seriousness concerning the Quickie, it was more of an impulse buy rather than a necessity, so I'll probably press it into service between the Music Streamer and my preamp. I'll be interested to hear if it makes any difference either positive or negative.

My lack of knowledge of electronics would fill a nice set of encyclopedias, so this question my come across as a bit stupid, but having added a headphone output to the Quickie as a lark, is it possible this could effect the sound quality of the pre-amps output in some negative way? I understand the transformers were added after the outputs and I assume would have no effect, but it appears I could at worst add a switch to disconnect the input to the transformers if necessary.

Stephen Morris

Shure V15-VMR
Rega Planar2
Bottlehead Seduction
Marantz SA8260 SACD
Pioneer RT-707
Adcom GFP-565
Adcom GFA-555
Magnepan MMG
Bottlehead Crack
AKG K501

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 04:08:05 PM
Yes, the transformer is likely to remove some of the bass unless you spent the big bucks on a high-end transformer. Direct out with the transformer removed will have the best frequency response and lowest distortion.

Paul Joppa

Offline SPaulMac

Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 12:43:19 AM
Thanks, Paul. I'll definitely be pulling the transformers out then.

Stephen Morris

Shure V15-VMR
Rega Planar2
Bottlehead Seduction
Marantz SA8260 SACD
Pioneer RT-707
Adcom GFP-565
Adcom GFA-555
Magnepan MMG
Bottlehead Crack
AKG K501

Offline Wanderer

Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 02:58:23 AM
Would think adding a "cut" switch, or two mono switches, to the Quickie to take the autoformers out of circuit would accomplish the same thing, then you could switch the headphones back in if you want to.

On the "tube buffer" idea it seems to be an attempt to add "tube-ish-ness" to a harsh sounding soild state rig.  IMHO the fix for a hard sounding hi-fi rig is selling it off and getting something that sounds good. Tossing a tube into a mediocre system is like covering a badly cooked steak in ketchup.

Again, IMHO, tubes don't make good "buffers", tubes for gain stages,  transformers or maybe FETs for buffers.

My opinion and "Mileage may vary" and all that.

Kevin R-M                
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 07:41:40 AM by Wanderer »

Kevin R-M

Offline Wanderer

Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 04:06:42 PM
I just reread my previous post and strikes me my tone could be mis-interpeted .

I certainly DO NOT intend my comments as a dig at the OP or his audio system. My comments were intended "in general" about add on tube buffers like the MF X-10.

Kevin R-M 

Kevin R-M

Offline Dr. Toobz

Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 04:41:47 PM
Another idea is to make a few easy circuit changes to the Quickie to get a cathode follower circuit. I've tried it, if just for the theoretical exercise, by removing the C4S (or stock plate resistors), taking the plates right to the B+ (36VDC), and putting a 150H, 8mA Hammond choke under each cathode, in place of the cathode resistor. Then, the output is taken off the cathode vs. plates (through a coupling capacitor, as usual). Seemed to work well, though gain was certainly less than unity. (I think there's a way to actually use pentodes in a cathode follower circuit vs. triode wiring tem, which will take you closer to unity gain - but that's beyond my meager electrical knowledge as a psychologist!).  Microphonics were reduced, as was distortion, since a cathode follower topology is inherently low in distortion. This lead to better sounding highs and bass than the 3S4's in their usual configuration, which I've found to overload pretty easy from CD-level input, getting overly warm and thick sounding with a decreased soundstage.

Definitely give the OPT's the boot before anything! (Such as via a cut switch). A gigantic difference in my experience. The Quickie is definitely a great way to add another stage between devices, if you're into that sort of thing - with SS, I could see how that would help. SS often sounds overly dry or "damped" to me - nothing a little 2nd harmonic distortion won't cure.