Orientation Of Capacitors In The Stereomour

astroimage2002 · 11047

Offline astroimage2002

Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 02:03:34 PM
Wilberforce,

As promised, here is a photo. The stock cap is the one in my fat and ugly little meat hook ;0)

Haven't listened to it yet. I had a glass of wine with dinner so I do not go anywhere around voltages that can kill me. I have to check the meter readings before I fire it up and should do so sometime this weekend.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 02:18:33 PM

Haven't listened to it yet. I had a glass of wine with dinner so I do not go anywhere around voltages that can kill me.

Yeah I would have at least two glasses before I fooled with high voltages.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline astroimage2002

Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 02:26:47 PM
Ummm... I know that you are pulling my leg. You want to make another million mistakes and THAT ain't one of them!

Brian

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 02:59:06 PM
Grainger,

Thank you for the idea. I've never used those teflon caps.  In fact, I have only used teflons once before and they are still in my DIY 6CL6 SPUD amp (they are a NOS cap of some kind I found over the internet from overseas somewhere...but not Russians).  I will google the Kommie Kap's and assume I'm looking for a standard low value bypass for high frequency detail, say around 0.01 to 0.02 uF? 

John

John,

I have a number of "dangling" capacitors.  It harms nothing.  Next you should try breaking in a Kommie Kap Teflon and bypassing your existing with it.  They are cheap, excellent sounding and add sparkle to most systems. 

You can break them in then test with alligator clip jumpers.  I did the first time.  It allowed me to put them in and out several times to verify what I heard.  Since I just solder them in because they always make a positive difference in my system.

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 03:15:36 PM
John,

Here is a link to some KK Teflon caps:

0.1uF@600V $25/pr delivered

(I have used this seller and gotten good service, delivery from Ukraine is about 2 weeks.)

They are NOS USSR Military Surplus that are pretty good sounding and reasonable.  I often use 0.1uF for a bypass in audio circuits and power supplies.

Here is a link to the fast break in post:

Link To Fast Break-In Instructions

(For me it opens on my post about fast break in.)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 03:47:13 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline wilberforce

Reply #20 on: June 18, 2011, 06:53:17 AM
Wilberforce,

As promised, here is a photo. The stock cap is the one in my fat and ugly little meat hook ;0)

Haven't listened to it yet. I had a glass of wine with dinner so I do not go anywhere around voltages that can kill me. I have to check the meter readings before I fire it up and should do so sometime this weekend.

Looking good. Anxious to hear your listening impressions.

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #21 on: June 18, 2011, 04:51:47 PM
Thank you for the link...that is a higher uF value than I expected, so that is very helpful. It is virtually the same price to order a set of four as two, if I was looking at the same products (I'm pretty sure I was).  I suppose that makes sense as the shipping is a large part of the price.

All this talk made me go ahead and order the Mundorf silver/oil caps that I've been Jonesing for since I built the Stereomour.  I went ahead and ordered the 2.7 uF for the parafeed and the 0.1 uF for the coupling cap.  I will try them out for a while once they arrive and get installed.  Then I will be able to try adding the bypass caps to the parafeed, and 0.22 uF seems just right. 

Cheers,
John

John,

Here is a link to some KK Teflon caps:

0.1uF@600V $25/pr delivered

(I have used this seller and gotten good service, delivery from Ukraine is about 2 weeks.)

They are NOS USSR Military Surplus that are pretty good sounding and reasonable.  I have bypassed with 0.1uF.

Here is a link to the fast break in post:

Link To Fast Break-In Instructions

(For me it opens on my post about fast break in.)

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!