Base assembly

jbraveman · 13561

Offline jbraveman

on: November 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM
This is my first DIY electronics project so I apologize if this has been covered before.  I searched the forum without any results.  I'm wondering what is the best method for assembling the base.  Are nails needed to keep it together?  If so, what tricks are useful for keeping things lined up?  I would also welcome some tips on finishing the wood.  I'm planning to stain the wood and then use a polyurethane finish.

Thanks.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 07:29:36 PM
There is a sheet of paper with instructions generally provided with the wood bases.  You need blue painters' tape and wood glue, and you'll be golden.

Finishing the wood is another story...

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline booangler

• My first love! Not Me... Fishing!!!
Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 03:55:02 AM
Doc,

If you are following this can you post the file. That way Grainger does not have to take a photo of his. I am going to make a base of Box Elder, the instructions would be a great help to me.

Thanks,

Alan

The joy of music should never be interrupted by a commercial - Leonard Bernstein

Denon POA | PJCCS Quickie | Hagerman Bugle | SOTA Sapphire w/ Grado Gold | B&W 602

Offline Mike F1

• Flyball Equipmemt
Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 06:55:59 AM
This is what I do:

-   Rough cut your stock to approx length (1-2

Offline jbraveman

Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 08:40:30 AM
I got the precut alder wood base with my quickie.  I didn't get the instructions about assembly however.  It would be great if all the instructions could be availble on line.  Thanks for the tips.

Offline Wardsweb

Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 10:04:22 AM
I use some tie-downs to hold it all very tight while it dries. A good flat surface helps to keep things level.

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwardsweb.org%2Faudio%2Fseduction%2Fprep%2Fp01.jpg&hash=4ba554de8427adb3bbaf099b91284299d158e8a4)

Offline Len

Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 10:31:37 AM
The base instructions could be put on line.  Though you do understand why the schematics and parts list wouldn't be on line?  Thinking about it the instructions would be dangerous on line too.

Looking to protect the Bottlehead intellectual property here.

Agreed. But with some sophistication and a lot of extra work on Bottlehead's part, maybe permissions could be set for users based on their purchases.

Personally, I wouldn't want such a headache. Thinking about it now, I wouldn't even want it as a user.

Paramours
Paraglows
Excites
Heavily modded Soul Sister and Groove Thang
Quickie modded to active low pass filter
Quickie modded to headphone amp
Lots of Bottlehead parts used for building other stuff

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 11:05:48 AM

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline booangler

• My first love! Not Me... Fishing!!!
Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 06:42:31 AM
Thanks Doc!!

The joy of music should never be interrupted by a commercial - Leonard Bernstein

Denon POA | PJCCS Quickie | Hagerman Bugle | SOTA Sapphire w/ Grado Gold | B&W 602

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 08:47:44 AM
Agreed. But with some sophistication and a lot of extra work on Bottlehead's part, maybe permissions could be set for users based on their purchases.

It's already in the shopping cart software, and we have been wrestling a bit with making the a PDF of a manual available for download to a qualified purchaser. There are some permission issues on our server that are not working with the path definitions, and we haven't yet figured out a workaround that would properly protect the document files.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline jbraveman

Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 04:21:25 PM
The base instructions could be put on line.  Though you do understand why the schematics and parts list wouldn't be on line?  Thinking about it the instructions would be dangerous on line too.

Looking to protect the Bottlehead intellectual property here.

Personally, I wouldn't want such a headache. Thinking about it now, I wouldn't even want it as a user.

It would have been nice to see some of the introductory stuff about needed equipment before getting the package.  I think its also reasonable to see if the project is too hard before making a purchase.   I can understand the concerns about protecting the information.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 04:54:33 AM
Doc has just started this site and not everything has been included yet.

I researched a thread a few days ago at the Old Site (that is a hot link to the old site) and here is the thread I found there:

Old Thread From Search

With it I started a thread here with suggested tools.  Sorry it was not there for you when you started I hadn't thought of it yet.  I'm not a Bottlehead employee just part of the community.

My Thread

I have added hot links to sources in the second post in that thread.  I also have some bookmarks to inexpensive tools from Harbor Freight and much better tools from Sears that I will share if you want them and PM me.  These are just suggestions, you can purchase anywhere.  I have taken the time to search for them at stores that I have used myself.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 08:33:27 AM by Grainger49 »