Contact cleaner w/cars?

ironbut · 3027

Offline ironbut

on: November 12, 2009, 04:18:36 PM
For quite a while now, usually a couple of times a year, I go through and clean the contacts in my ignition system (especially right after gas prices spike).
I can feel a slight increase in performance and I'm sure my gas mileage goes up too.
I don't really go for those $$$ cleaners (not that I haven't tried them) but for the most part, I just use some stuff by MG Chem. called Super Contact Cleaner (very nasty stuff!).

Today while I was checking my oil I dripped some into my fuse box. So I got out the q-tips and the contact cleaner and cleaned the fuse contacts (about 15 minutes).. BTW My 1990 BMW has about 120,000 miles on it and it still looks and runs great.

Well, I just got back from the store and I was shocked at how much brighter my headlights, dashlights and dome light were! Even my radio was playing a bit louder and sounded clearer (ok,.. that last bit could've all been in my head).
Now I can only wonder if I can fit a stepped attenuator into my factory stock radio/cassette!

steve koto

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 04:24:47 PM
More to be squeezed out - now go clean all those push on plugs that connect to your lights, and all the metal parts of your lamp bulbs. I bought an '88 Mercedes 300CE with 170K a couple months ago and went through the same experience with lights getting brighter and brighter as I cleaned up every contact. Col has a '77 300D that sat outside in the rain for 2 years. Cleaning the electrical stuff on his car is less like " oh, cool" and more like emergency surgery...

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline ironbut

Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 07:22:11 PM
Yeah, I was in a misguided state of denial about early onset night blindness!
Now I can concentrate my energy on denying the stuff that's really happening.

steve koto

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 01:43:40 AM
Steve, Doc,

You are both quite possibly insane!  Cleaning the fuse block and plugs/receptacles is both admirable and compulsive enough to be me.

And night myopia is normal after age 30.  Back in the 70s I read about it in a photography magazine.  They suggested a +2 lens on your viewer.  I bought one 20 years ago because my eyes were starting to go.  I also got glasses for night driving.   

Getting old sucks, right Dan?