Blumenstein Ultra Fi

Doc B. · 233813

Offline yay

Reply #750 on: January 09, 2017, 09:45:07 AM
Got lucky and there were some used Orcas for sale in Europe and i snagged them up.
They are from 2014, so will likely order the DOF kit once i listened to them a bit. Looking forward to it  ;D

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #751 on: January 09, 2017, 11:17:33 AM
Got lucky and there were some used Orcas for sale in Europe and i snagged them up.
They are from 2014, so will likely order the DOF kit once i listened to them a bit. Looking forward to it  ;D

Were they the ones on ebay? I looked at them myself a little while back. There is a very nice looking pair of Tritons up for grabs on one of the UK forums as well at the moment which are very tempting. Shocking timing as I've just picked up somthing else.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline yay

Reply #752 on: January 09, 2017, 08:48:43 PM
Yes, grabbed the eBay ones. Should be here next week. Will order one of the bottlehead amps for it next month~

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #753 on: January 19, 2017, 02:21:33 AM
The fe-83-sol sounds way better to me in my orca deluxes than my fe-83. More authoritative bass and smoother on the treble. fwiw.

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline RickS

Reply #754 on: May 19, 2017, 11:28:27 AM
I see from Blumenstein's Instagram page that the Fostex fe83sol driver is now standard...  So far I haven't seen Grant comment on what he perceives as the advantages.  I'm anxious to try the upgraded driver since they're relatively inexpensive.

Foreplay III, Stereomour w/ JJ 2A3-40 and Psvane 12AT7 tubes
Blumenstein Orca FE83-SOL speakers / sub
BH power cables & interconnects
HP Stream 11 running WTFPLAY, Supra USB to Teac UD-301 DSD DAC
Rega Planar 2 w/ AT95SH cartridge, GT subplatter, 24V motor, SRM-Tech Silent Base
Seduction w/ C4S

Offline Adrian

Reply #755 on: July 15, 2017, 01:32:41 PM
I completed the Blumenstein Depth of Field (DOF) modification on my 2.2 Mini-Max speakers (the minis prior to the Marlin and the MAX subwoofer).
Work of warning, be careful with the FOSTEX FF85WK drivers.  I dented the dust cap on one and had to order a replacement.  Actually, I replaced both of the drivers and now have one good spare.

I have been listening for about two weeks to the newly modded pair and feel the new drivers have gone through their breakin period and I am very please.  These speakers were very good before the change but now I hear some improvement in clarity, quickness in response, and easiness with the music.

Last night I was listening at about half normal volume levels (using 300b Paramount amps with a passive preamp) to Fourplay, Robert Cray, and Joyce Cooling and was transfixed with the smooth sound and depth of each instrument and vocal.  One of those late-night nirvana moments.

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.

Offline pdxgrampa

Reply #756 on: July 16, 2017, 10:27:16 AM
I haven't seen a report on the DOF for Orca Deluxe so I will do one, sorta.
I replaced the Fostex EX with sols and did the DOF at the same time so not really a DOF report, but I would say
that in my opinion this is a very will spent ~ 200 bucks for drivers and DOF.
Also did the DOF for the old Orca Subs also more gooder.

Greg
Music Hall 5.1SE,EROS. OPPO 980HD, Music Hall 25.3 Dac. BeePre/BeeQuiet. Paramount V1.1 300B,Orca Deluxe W/ Subs/SPA250s.Stereomour W/Orca Deluxe. Crack W/Speeball(2) .Beyerdynamic 990s.Crackheadphone.