is reel to reel a massive pain in the butt compared to other sources?

Chris · 6981

Offline Chris

i am always looking for the best source possible and am willing to go the distance, i came onto the scene just when r to r was phasing out of the market and pioneer had their awesome looking 909, i ended up buying the ctf-1250 the awesome looking cassette equiv., BUT since Doc is doing touting the merits of r to r, i was wondering , tape breakage, splicing, transfer of my cds, tape availability etc., would be worth it..... i guess i would just have to hear docs setup for myself, but not possible right now.... i would love to have a mint pioneer rt-909, those things were gorgeous.... sorry if this is a stupid question....

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
IMO it's not worth it for transferring your CDs to tape. I know there are people out there who suggest this is an improvement, and if it works for them more power to them. The expense and the time spent making the transfers are very high. However if being used to play pre recorded tapes or tapes that you are recording live a good tape deck is, in my opinion, the best sounding source.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Chris

thank you very much Doc.... ok, i think i will just wait for your dac instead, better choice for my system and lifestyle it sounds like....

Offline Grainger49

Chris,

I used RTR extensively to minimize the wear on my LPs.  When I got an LP I would record it onto a tape at 7.5 ips on the first play (after cleaning).  Then played the tape when I wanted to hear the new album.  And all the time I had an almost virgin LP.

Tapes can store more music than an LP or CD with 10" reels and with auto reverse even with 7" reels.  So it is more convenient.  Few tape machines, a few but not many, will search for the next song like a CD player will.  That is convenient.  Tapes sound better than CDs, plain and simple.

The biggest advantage is with original tapes recorded live and prerecorded tapes.  Nothing will sound as good.

But I think I know why some folks like a CD on a RTR better than straight.  It smooths out the high frequency hash.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 02:04:47 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Be careful. Reel to reel can be a whole 'nother addiction.  There is something quite mesmerizing about watching those reels turn round and round playing your music.  You will also have a great conversation piece that will completely puzzle anyone under the age of 35 or so.

They do need some regular care and attention.  These are very mechanical devices with lots of levers, motors, rollers, brakes and solenoids.  You gotta oil it now and then and keep the heads clean. 

It's all worth it in my opinion.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline howardnair

chris -it is worth the effort--i have a akai 635 which is a decent RR--i also own a akai 4000D which has manual 3 /34 to 7.5 capstan-you have to change it by removing a cover and screwing and unscrewing-all controls are levers-i bought it from a tech -all gone over-[ it is essentially new-looks new] to see if i wanted a tape deck-well i did--i offer this 4000d to you or anyone else who may want it for the shipping-my zip is 02554 and it is heavy--

Offline Chris

wow! thank you everybody for the replies.... when i am setup again in the not too distant future ( i am from Washington state), i will SERIOUSLY look into it, as for now, i am in Indonesia so THANK YOU for the generous offer as regards to the deck!!!!! and everybody else TAKE NOTE.... i am just not quite ready yet for an acquisition though.... thank you everybody again!.....