45 rpm 12 inch reissues

howardnair · 6634

Offline howardnair

on: August 29, 2011, 06:53:12 AM
i have bought a few of these-the jung sisters dvorak---cannonball adderly-somethin-else horace silver stylings of silver -rickie lee jones-its like this--a few others---there is without a doubt a sonic difference-now i just went to acoustic sounds and had a look since it has been a while-they seem to be getting ridiculously expensive-i have not paid more than $45 to $75 for any of mine--i see led zeppelin for $875  a screaming garage band--thats' nuts --oscar peterson $59 more like it-i realize that i may be exposing myself to criticism with comment--oh well
howie

Offline Thoburn

Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 07:20:49 AM
I have several 45 rpm - 12 inch LPs as well and they are so superior to the normal stuff it is astounding. Hugh Masekaela's Hope it just amazing and it is a live recording. Anne-Sophie Mutter - Carmen Fantasie. Jacintha - Jacintha is her name. Horace Silver - The Tokyo Blues. Norah Jones - Come away with me. Nat "King" Cole - Love Is The Thing. I may have missed some. I know they are rediculously expense, but as they say, buy quality and it hurts once...

Dynavector DV-20X2L > VPI Scout II > Musical Surroundings NovaPhonomena
Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Stereomour > Lowther Medallion DX4 and Rythmic Subs
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline matthewmckay

Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 10:41:34 AM
Oh my god I love anne-sophie mutter... which album do you have in 45?

Offline Thoburn

Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 11:28:22 AM
This one:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/51592/Anne-Sophie_Mutter-Bizet_Carmen_Fantasie-180_Gram_Vinyl_Record

This is not a plug for Acoustic Sounds. I just happen to have bought it from them.

Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline Dr. Toobz

Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 02:15:42 PM
How much do these things actually hold per side? Most albums I've seen take up four LP-sized platters when done at 45RPM, but that's for a modern, CD-length release. Makes me curious as to how they master a typical 35-minute album at 45RPM. Will a whole pre-CD album fit on a 45RPM "LP" with computerized track-pitch adaption and other wizardry, or do the audiophile releases not squeeze the grooves to begin with?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 02:28:43 PM
It doesn't have to be a CD length recording.  I have a 4 disk - one sided - 45 RPM - LP set of Dave Brubeck Quartet, Time Out and one of The Cowboy Junkies Trinity Session too.

Depending on the length of the songs it could be a few.  Let's say 8 minutes, maybe 10.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 06:16:38 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline howardnair

Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 03:10:15 PM
brubeck in 45 rpm missed that one i have it in tape and sophie mutter would be nice in 45-
and whats wrong with plugging acoustic sounds they are a good outfit-i would love to go and visit their church that they made into a live  music and recording venue-chad kassem has to be having a great time-one owning a record and equipment store--plus the live music and recording studio--how fun would that be!!!!

Offline Paully

Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 03:50:51 AM
That Cowboy Junkies Trinity at 45 RPM goes for a very pretty penny.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 06:24:29 AM
I bought it when it was recently out.  I think Prices get higher as they get near the end of a run.

Offline Thoburn

Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 07:14:43 AM
How much do these things actually hold per side? Most albums I've seen take up four LP-sized platters when done at 45RPM, but that's for a modern, CD-length release. Makes me curious as to how they master a typical 35-minute album at 45RPM. Will a whole pre-CD album fit on a 45RPM "LP" with computerized track-pitch adaption and other wizardry, or do the audiophile releases not squeeze the grooves to begin with?

About 12 minutes. You do have to get up and change sides frequently. You could call it part of the charm ;)

Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline Paully

Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 03:19:26 AM
I have really enjoyed the 45 RPM issues that I have bought.  My Morning Jacket and Fleetwood Mac come to mind.  So I bought the Snoopy Christmas 45 album based on a recommendation even though that is definitely not something I would have thought of or been willing to spend that kind of money for under normal circumstances (it was around $50).  This thread got me thinking about albums cut at 45 again so I went to Music Direct and did a search of "45 RPM" and went through all of the albums they offer at that speed.  Bought Interpol's album since that was the only one I found that had some interest for me.  I have to agree that it is difficult to pull the trigger at a $50+ price point but under $30 there is no question that if it is an album I want I am willing to pay a little extra to get it cut at 45.

Offline Thoburn

Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 03:34:23 PM
I have several 45 rpm - 12 inch LPs as well and they are so superior to the normal stuff it is astounding. Hugh Masekaela's Hope it just amazing and it is a live recording. Anne-Sophie Mutter - Carmen Fantasie. Jacintha - Jacintha is her name. Horace Silver - The Tokyo Blues. Norah Jones - Come away with me. Nat "King" Cole - Love Is The Thing. I may have missed some. I know they are rediculously expense, but as they say, buy quality and it hurts once...

OOPS! My apologies. The Anne-Sophie Mutter is actually 33 1/3 rpm. It is a two record set and it sounds very good. I guess that shows you that a well done 33 1/3 can sound pretty good as well. I suppose it should considering the $80 price tag of this recording. It is cool and sometime disheartening how 'high fidelity' gear can reveal so much about the quality of the source.

Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Monster Power HTS3600