Eros (Seduction) Spinning

Paully · 30590

Offline Grainger49

Reply #75 on: February 15, 2013, 10:27:46 AM
Pulling out some old Transatlantic Imports this afternoon.  First Cruel Sister (Pentangle) and now their Reflection.  This one is in the original outer plastic sleeve.  It has $5.99 written on it in crayon.  Boy! Those imports were expensive in the 70s.  It was a premium price then when I was making $2.80 an hour.  But then I had great HF response in my ears, 19,500 Hz +, and it was worth the better mastering.

More later, less sooner.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 11:16:10 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Paully

Reply #76 on: February 15, 2013, 11:00:37 AM
A friend up here played some Ryan Adams for me.  I have been on a tear buying his records, and some Whiskeytown as well.  It is wonderful music.

Offline Paully

Reply #77 on: February 15, 2013, 11:44:57 AM
I always have some whiskey around.  Scotch to be exact.  As with most, I find it to be a most effective tweak.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #78 on: March 16, 2013, 02:24:46 PM
Tonight is an all vinyl listening session.  I cleaned this afternoon and here is the list:

Paul Simon, So Beautiful Or What?  This one is his best in a long time.
The Pentangle, Cruel Sister  Recently purchased English pressing of an old favorite.
Spirit, The Family That Plays Together  Sundazed reissue, this one Stereo.
Spirit, Spirit  Sundazed Mono reissue.
Runrig, Once In A Lifetime  Celtic rock?  Well the group is Scottish and have 18 albums out.  This one is next.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 11:14:39 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Paully

Reply #79 on: March 16, 2013, 02:36:57 PM
I always thought Pink Floyd besides the Wall was rather lame.  For whatever reason I picked up copies of Wish You Were Here and the Dark Side of the Moon.  I am enjoying them immensely.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #80 on: March 16, 2013, 02:45:03 PM
Pink Floyd had a number of good albums.  Ummagumma is one, Meddle another.  These are the early stuff.

But who mentioned Pink Floyd?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 11:14:18 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline matthewmckay

Reply #81 on: May 09, 2013, 09:00:44 AM
I had to purchase this vinyl after listening to the group on a local/public jazz station... this is the groups first venture into recording on vinyl... it was interesting to hear Allison describe what she was looking for in terms of sound quality on this effort, and how every one of her expectations had been surpassed when she got to hear the result.

Allison Miller and Boom Tic Boom - No Morphine, No Lillies

Check it out...  its a fun album (and IMO all-over the map in terms of style) and easily one of the best recordings that I have heard lately.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #82 on: September 06, 2013, 09:35:08 AM
Ok, I have bought about 40-50 LPs in my 6 months being employed.  One of them is spinning today:

John Stewart, The Last Campaign.

I will be surprised if anyone knows this obscure songwriter/singer much less this album. 

Back in 92 my guitar teacher fell in love with John Stewart's work that I gave him on a cassette.  He liked the hooks and was amazed at his background.

Any fans of Lindsay Buckingham should take note.  Lindsay learned all his licks from John.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 11:14:04 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Dr. Toobz

Reply #83 on: September 06, 2013, 03:52:14 PM
I remember a song from when I was a kid that I believe was done by John Stewart and Stevie Nicks, in the very late 70's or early 80's. Something about "turning music into gold" - same guy?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #84 on: September 07, 2013, 02:08:43 AM
That would be the song Gold from the album Bombs Away Dream Babies.  John was about to lose his recording contract with yet another label.  Lindsey Buckingham came in and saved him for another album or two.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 11:13:47 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #85 on: September 07, 2013, 09:22:42 AM
Today after all kinds of chores around the house (ceiling fan almost installed, needs 2 people for the finish), I sat down with some of the albums I have bought in the last 6 months of income.  I bought an American and English pressing of Donovan's first (mono) album.  I wanted to compare. 

The American can't be better.  The English pressing is amazing  But the American pressing is up next.

Edit: It isn't better and it has songs in a different order than the American pressing. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 11:13:31 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline najo49

Reply #86 on: September 09, 2013, 08:43:03 AM
I think I will give a few suggestions to broaden horizon here. Do not think george Bensen is jazz. If you want jazz and well recored at that try the Bill Evens trio esp the ones with Paul Moton and Scott lafaro.  And try Lisa Ekdahl,there are two cds its a real jazz trio and a wonderful sweedish singer. More real Jazz T. monk any of them the columbias are good but go at it slowly,Monk takes a while. Try some of the older Prestige Miles Davis monos.And I have been a classical musician for 50 yrs,and I never have heard anything relating to classical  posted here.Try Bachs B minor mass. that was included in the voyager space craft to show some of the greatest things our culture has created. Have you ever heard it? Just food for thought. Jann Olsen

Jann Olsen, [email protected].  Lowther medallion 2 with pm2a./ extended foreplay lll,/EROS phono /Grado ref/ SOTA star Vacuum SME V, /  45 amp direct coupled,c4s,mQ nickel  / paramour  2a3 w MQ iron /Original SEX monos /Jena Cables /heathkit wm6a/ proAc Tablette 50 sig , with push pull

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #87 on: September 09, 2013, 08:54:04 AM
Actually it's a Brandenburg on the Voyager disc.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #88 on: September 09, 2013, 10:54:40 AM
I think there are a whole lot of jazz guitarists who would disagree with you about George Benson.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #89 on: September 09, 2013, 11:06:10 AM
Have you heard "The Other Side Of Abby Rd."?

It is a style of Jazz that is almost unique to the mid to late 70s.  There are a lot of similar albums produced by Creed Taylor on the CTI label (Creed Taylor Inc.).

Dan, that is a great cover.  I have never heard it before.  I'll look for it on an album.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 11:07:14 AM by Grainger49 »