Another digital scale option.

Laudanum · 3198

Offline Laudanum

on: August 30, 2011, 02:53:19 AM
This one is offered by a US seller on ebay, sold as a jewelry scale.   It's a 10 gram scale so maybe not as dead on accurate as the 5 gram talked about in the other thread but it seems to be a pretty good option.  
It's $18.99 and free shipping with BIN or there is a best offer option.  
I picked one up a couple weeks ago.  Shipping was fast, 3 or 4 days. It does look cheap, as fully expected, and the pictures on ebay dont really hide that fact.  But it does seem to be darn accurate which is all that counts along with it hopefully having some longevity.  It comes in a case/box and includes both a 10 gram and 5 gram weight as well as batteries and a pair of long nose tweezers. Calibration is done with the 10 gram weight.  Like most inexpensive digital scales, there is no adjustment for calibration, just a self calibration pass/fail mode.  After calibration, the scale measured dead on 5 grams and 10 grams respectively for the corresponding weights.   I just checked again without re-calibrating and before posting this and it is still reading dead on with both weights.  And obviously, it does have the Tare feature.

One of the nice things, for me anyway, is that the scale has a raised platform in which the item to be weighed is placed.  On my Rotel table that scale platform height is just a hair below where the top playing surface of the LP would be. A CD or two under the scale is enough to bring that platform right at the same height as the LP playing surface, or I could use a thin piece of foam or Magic Eraser on top of the platform to accomplish the same thing and probably better protect the stylus.  However, I dont measure a difference in VTF with or without the weighing platform height raised the 2 or 3 mm.  So if someone is looking for an inexpensive scale with quicker delivery, this could be a good option.   One down side which could maybe be a problem with some tables is that it isnt a super miniature scale.  It also has a hinged cover which may get in the way.  But that can be easily removed.  The standard size of the scale isnt a problem with either of my tables (Rotel Rega 2 clone and Music Hall MMF 5).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-10g-x-0-001g-1mg-Digital-Scale-Pocket-Jewelry-Scale-/190562802662?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5e6d9be6
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 03:01:32 AM by Laudanum »

Desmond G.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 03:17:30 PM
The real mystery is why "Yall Store" is in Brooklyn NY.

The real key is if it is accurate.  Take a look at the other thread, by rif, and see what the coins weigh versus what they should weigh.

Edit:  Found the answer.  rif gives some standards in Reply #6

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,1738.0.html
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 04:46:32 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Laudanum

Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 02:40:38 AM
I know that a new nickel should weigh 5 grams.  I dont have any new nickels to check.  However the nice thing is that you could use the internal calibration with two new nickels instead of the 10 gram weight and the scale would be calibrated to the nickels.  Of course, then you would have to check to make sure that it measured 5 grams with one nickel.  However, with the scale showing the 5 gram weight at exactly 5 grams after the 10 gram calibration, Im confident that a single nickel would measure 5 grams.   In other words, the scale appears to be as accurate as the calibration weight used to calibrate it.  For the truly anal, the expensive digital scales marketed and sold as VTF scales may be the only path to sanity.   For me, I'm confident that this scale (atleast the sample that I have) is accurate to a few hundreths of a gram and the calibration weight is probably within that range of tolerance.  But I'll check it out with some new nickels when I get a chance and report back. 

Desmond G.