Balanced IEMs?

Jim R. · 3960

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
on: September 05, 2011, 09:58:42 AM
Does anybody have any IEMs that have been rewired for balanced operation?

I have a pair of Shure SE425s that I really love and am wondering if it may be possible to wire them for balanced use, or if somebody already offers the cable for this?

These do have removable cables so I figure that this is not too far fetched.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline mrarroyo

Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 02:39:54 AM
Once you start the path of the balanced iem there is no turning back and your wallet will SUFFER! I started with a UE TF10 with a silver cable and paired with an iBasso Boomslang/Toucan combo. The source was a modified iRiver H120 w/ an 80 Gb HD. Did I mention you will need a big bag to carry all the stuff.

(https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-RFr7a4MTf9U/TmYUcPzlJkI/AAAAAAAAA9E/_wqmwmgGo5U/s1024/DSCN1073%252520copy.JPG)

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 05:14:20 AM
Hi Miguel,

Actually, this would not be for mobile use -- more for listening in bed when my wife is asleep or reading, etc., and doesn't want to hear the bleed-through from open cans.

Ideally I'd like to just be able to swap the cablesfrom te balanced to the mini plug version, so that when I do travel (very rare) I can use my iPod or iPad with them.

It's surprising how good they sound with just the iPod Touch 4g and losless files, but I'm thinking with something like the smack, things will be even nicer.

Maybe I'll give the guys at headroom a call -- they're generally great to work with and helpful.  Maybe I'll just buy a replacement cable and have somebody rewire it -- that's something I just can't do with such tiny wires and aso not aving the right tools for working with that kind of wire.

The cables are supposedly readily replaceable as they make a cablewith mic and volume control for use with the mobile devices and phones.

-- Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline mrarroyo

Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 05:43:24 AM
I am using the Lune cable, it is 4 strands and I had HiFligt (Ron) of Head Fi re-terminate to the hirose plug as used in the iBasso amp.

http://www.null-audio.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=180

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 03:26:11 PM
Hi Miguel,

I just got my Lune cable and gave it a try on my iTouch last night.  Big improvement in a lot of ways over the stock cable, but how long did it take you to get it fully burned in?  I never thought I'd hear such a soundstage, especially with IEMs, but it was enormous.  It's a bit shrill on some things -- brass instruments in particular, but also a bit weird in terms of midrange harmonics in pianos and violins, acoustic guitars etc.

Actually, some of this is probably just te audio section of the iTouch and I just wasn't hearing it before, but some of it sounds like typical new silver cabling, which my experience tells me will smooth out in time.

I'm just letting them play as much as possible before RMAF and there I'm sure I'll get a chance to try them with some more capaable amps and dacs.

Thanks for the pointer to Null Audio -- it took quite a while to get my order sent, but once sent it got here quickly and the cable feels well constructed.

-- Jim

Offline mrarroyo

Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 12:27:06 AM
Hi Jim, glad you like your new cable. I bought mine used so did not have to burn it in. Sorry.