Anyone local who can help with Alix board with Voyage and MPD?

Doc B. · 3838

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
In the early stages of working on the DAC and a music server I acquired an Alix board and got as far as loading Voyage and MPD on the CF card. I never got much farther as I seemed to easily run past my level of Linux competence and/or patience.

I am now in need of a music player for our headphone listening rig. The easy way out would be to pick up another Mac Mini and use Amarra/iTunes and share the files on our Mini music server that is installed the main listening room. But I have this Alix box and an EMU 0404USB that is supposedly now compatible with ALSA, just sitting here. I've stuck the Alix in the lobby and connected it to the network and I am able to access it via SSH from my Windoze workstation.  I understand that there is a new version of Voyage that incorporates MPD and a lot of stuff necessary to effectively use higher res files and that might be worth wiping and reloading this new version onto the CF card to make the whole process easier.

That's as far as I seem to be able to get before I lose my focus. Is there a Linux aficionado in the area who might be interested in getting MPD up and running for me, either tied to a dedicated USB external drive, or maybe I'm hoping it could be set up set it up to access the music files on external USB drive connected to the Mini upstairs, via NFS? I have an extra iTouch that could use MPoD to control the Alix once it's all set up.

I'm happy to pay for the work in Bottlehead kit(s). Please, somebody heeeelp! I've definitely reached my level of incompetence on this project and ebay is starting to look like the right place to put the Alix board.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.