What are your favorite 2A3 tubes in a Stereomour?

Thoburn · 10645

Offline Thoburn

on: September 27, 2011, 08:50:22 AM
Forgive me if this is a duplicate of some other thread, but I didn't find one and thought I'd ask the question.
I am still running the stock 2A3 tubes in mine.
What have others tried and what are the impressions? Good or bad or ?

Dynavector DV-20X2L > VPI Scout II > Musical Surroundings NovaPhonomena
Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Stereomour > Lowther Medallion DX4 and Rythmic Subs
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline ebag4

• Bottlehead and GR Research, Yeah Baby!
Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 09:14:34 AM
The only 2a3s I have used other than the stock tubes are the JJ 2a3-40s.  I installed them and never looked back, better in every area IMO.

Best,
Ed

GO CARDS!!!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 01:51:24 PM
I have the Paramours, monoblocks of the Stereomour circuit, almost.  I started with the stock Sovteks, nice and really showed me what a good amp Bottlehead makes.  The Sovteks got old and I bought the Shuguang 2A3Cs on the recommendation of several posters.  Really liked those!  I have swapped some RCA Blackplates in and out and still think for the going prices today the Shuguang are a killer.

Offline howardnair

Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 03:27:34 PM
i have used the sovteks of course -the shuguang 2a3c -the sophia 300B/ 2.5 v-and in my daughters the shuguang and the  sophia electric bakelite base meshplate 2a3-they all sound great-there is more to the sophia tubes than the others- i was and still am using the 300B/ 2.5 v  in my stereomour--my favorite which i sent along to my daughter was the sophia meshplate 2a3-

howie

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 04:27:16 PM
Ed already knows what I like.  

Of course I tried the Sovteks that came with the kit.  Then some JAN RCAs from the 1940s that have a sweet sound but without the desired extension in both bass and high end.  The are also not as quiet as I would like...I've bought a few RCA/Cunningham tubes and had the same results, so if you like mid-range magic and don't mind a bit more noise (only noticeable without music playing), then the RCA family is the way to go, perhaps.

But I love my JJ 2A3-40s.  I would rather swap out my 12AT7 and play that way...and that is a fun game to play!  I just don't feel like taking my JJs out!

John

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 10:59:25 PM
i have used the sovteks of course -the shuguang 2a3c -the sophia 300B/ 2.5 v-and in my daughters the shuguang and the  sophia electric bakelite base meshplate 2a3-they all sound great-there is more to the sophia tubes than the others- i was and still am using the 300B/ 2.5 v  in my stereomour--my favorite which i sent along to my daughter was the sophia meshplate 2a3-

howie

On the old board, pre Stereomour days, the TJ Mesh Plates were well received.  I don't know if they are still made.  No one seems to post about them these days.  But my point, poorly stated, is that the mesh plate seems to make a difference.

Offline Poultrygeist

Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 02:25:50 PM
Hello all,

I'm new here and love the Paramours I recently acquired. I tried the Shuguangs 2a3c's from a Dared amp and really like their sound and looks. They seem more detailed and richer than the dryer sounding RCA black plates and are approximately 1/2 inch taller. The Valve Arts came with my Paramours but I've yet to give them a try.

The Paramours are excellent driving my OB Tang Band 1808s which sit atop some H-Frame Alphas powered by Dayton monoblocks.

Offline Thoburn

Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 03:16:57 PM

howie

Are you talking about the Princess mesh plate or the standard mesh plate? Big price difference.

Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline Thoburn

Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 04:33:54 PM

howie

Are you talking about the Princess mesh plate or the standard mesh plate? Big price difference.

Update: Must be the standard because it is the only one I see at their web site that has a black base. The standard at $235.00 a pair with the 30 day warranty.

Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline howardnair

Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 04:34:43 PM
standard 2a3 --the 300b/2.5v is a princess

Offline Lee Hankins

Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 05:39:37 PM
My favorite 2A3 is the TJ 2A3/n mesh plate (ceramic base, gold pins), the 2A3c was not on the market when I purchased the TJ's so I have not listened to this tube.

I like the sound of the TJ better than the NOS 45 (ST and Globe) tubes in my Yamamoto A-08S 45 amp, I did not think that the Sovtek or Value Art 2A3 sounded better than a NOS 45 in the Yamamato. 

Lee Hankins
"End of the Road"
Homer, Alaska