6sn7 conversion question

John Roman · 4840

Offline John Roman

on: September 29, 2011, 08:20:18 AM
So I've got all the parts together and just sat down to preform the surgery and already I have a question.
Do the resistors and led attached to the 9 pin socket need to be reused in the 8 pin octal? I have the pin outs for the 12at7 and the 6sn7 already.

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline Laudanum

Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 08:28:56 AM
In short, yes.

Desmond G.

Offline John Roman

Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 08:34:09 AM
In short, thanks D

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline Laudanum

Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 08:47:29 AM
John, what I did with the Led was just solder a flying lead to it and soldered that lead to the terminal that the 9 pin sockets center tab is now connected to with the led soldered at the tube pin (Pin 3 I think).   I guess this is probably obvious but just thought I'd mention it ... since my dumb arse had to ask Grainger what to do with it :-D 

Desmond G.

Offline Laudanum

Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 06:59:31 AM
Hi John.   Get it finished or still working on it?

Desmond G.

Offline John Roman

Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 09:13:26 PM
Hey Desmond,
Just got it done, and the music is playing. Sounds great too. Thanks for the help!

Regards,
John

Offline Laudanum

Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 05:18:50 AM
Hey Desmond,
Just got it done, and the music is playing. Sounds great too. Thanks for the help!

Great, happy to hear it.  I wish I could have been more definitive but glad that I was able to help some.  And happy to do so.

Which 6SN7's are you currently using?

Enjoy

Desmond G.

Offline John Roman

Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 08:07:13 AM
Hey Desmond,
I'm currently using some Sylvania black plate chrome tops I got off ebay for $30 for the pair shipped. They're NOS so I'm not sure as to break-in. Sound different than the 12au7's (RFT) I had in there. Not really used to the sound yet. I'll try and describe it once I've listened awhile. At this point though they sound more "tubey" , more rounded. They seem to shine a bit more on tenor sax jazz recordings. But I'm just listening to Pandora and some HD track files. Initially I'd have to say these are a bit less detailed but again I need to listen awhile. Thanks again for helping along the way. I think I may have become a pita for PJ and doc, sorry guys. Anyway now I'm thinking Goldpoint attenuators.... who knows!
BTW what tubes are you using? I've got some 6h8c on the way from Russia, so we'll see. 

Regards,
John

Offline Laudanum

Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 08:56:06 AM
Im using the same tubes John.  Baldwin labeled Sylvania Chrome Tops (black plates).  Got them off ebay for 20 bucks and shipping if I recall.  They were also NOS. I also have a Sylvania labeled used pair and a NOS pair of Silvertone labeled sylvanias (same plates, flashing doesnt extend as far down the tube).   I agree, they are "rounder" sounding than the 12AU7's based on my experience with both tubes in Crack.  I think most of the 12AU7's I tried are more treble forward.  Some being too treble forward/bright for my tastes but the good ones being a bit more detailed, so I would agree with you there.  But I really liked the 6SN7s and preferred them over the 12AU7's overall, so I built the FPIII with them from the start ... I was using a 6SN7 with adapter in Crack. 
I figured I would go end up going back to a 12AU7 in Crack but seem to be leaning toward a 12BH7 instead, atleast for the time being.  That may change. 

I have a couple of VT-231's as well.  I know one of them is good as I rolled it into Crack.  I havent tried the second yet.  I'll need to check it and then drop them into FPIII and listen after a little while.  But I didnt think the regular Chrome Top Sylvanias gave up much to the VT-231.  They seem to be a bang for the buck 6SN7 (relative to the $'s that the consensus top 5 6SN7's tend to go for).   I've been saving the VT-231's for a try in FPIII but wanted to get good and familiar with the FPIII with the Chrome Tops before hand.  I have some other 6SN7's as well but prefer the Sylvanias so far.  But the GE's arent bad at all either, but an even "rounder" sounding tube.

Desmond G.

Offline John Roman

Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 11:37:14 AM
I also grabbed a pair of Tung Sol 6sn7GTB's from Tube Depot. They were more for "something else to try" than anything. I'm going to hang with the Syl's for awhile though. Take care.

Regards,
John

Offline Balle Clorin

Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 10:27:19 AM
Doms this mean that the pt-3 poser transformer can hope with the increase
in heater current from 300 to 600mA when using a 6sn7?

Offline Paully

Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 11:58:35 AM
I would have to agree that when I switched my FPIII to 7N7 what I noticed was less detail and a warmer, more tubey sound.  Those were my thoughts exactly.  And I liked it as well.

Offline Laudanum

Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 02:19:56 PM
Doms this mean that the pt-3 poser transformer can hope with the increase
in heater current from 300 to 600mA when using a 6sn7?

Yes it can.

Desmond G.

Offline Laudanum

Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 02:22:32 PM
I would have to agree that when I switched my FPIII to 7N7 what I noticed was less detail and a warmer, more tubey sound.  Those were my thoughts exactly.  And I liked it as well.

I think John mentioned in another thread that he was considering switching back to 12AU7's.  I definitely like the 6SN7's, Im sticking.

Desmond G.

Offline Paully

Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 05:45:28 PM
I can understand the desire to go back to the more extended (maybe?) and detailed 12au7.  But for me the air of the 6SN7/7N7 is wonderful.  When I put it in I knew I wasn't going back, so I bought lots and lots of them!