Modifying case and layout?

bundee1 · 16601

Offline arveedub

Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 12:07:07 PM
I think that some terms aren't being used correctly:

• Stranded wire is wire made up of lots of really thin wires twisted together with no insulation between them. The bundle acts as a single wire.
  • Solid core is just that: a solid metal wire.
  • Twisted pair means two separate wires that have been loosely twisted together as a sort of shielding. They are insulated independently & can be solid or stranded.

The network cable is composed of four twisted pairs of solid core wire. You cut off the outer case & untwist the pairs to get a single wire. You can also leave the pairs twisted for a signal & ground pair.

Like davet said, plenum rated cable is the good stuff. It's also fairly pricey as it's hard to get in short lengths. I lucked into a nearly full spool a few years ago, so that's what I use.

Don't sweat it, though. You aren't going to be using much wire for your project & any hookup wire is fine for what you are doing.

Have fun & let us know how it works out!

Offline davet

Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 12:42:54 PM
Most definitely. A single strand of 24-gauge will do.

There is a sonic difference between Teflon clad (plenum Cat5) and the non-plenum Cat5. Teflon clad wires sound better than other insulation, but if you have access to regular Cat5 at no cost - go for it.

Davet

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 12:47:32 PM
Yes, the solid core Radio Shack wire is an option, although I would try to stretch the teflon covered wire provided with the kit as far as you can.  When you heat up the Rat Shack wire and solder to it, the heat from the soldering iron will soften up the plastic.  If there is a 90 degree bend in the wire near the solder joint, the PVC jacket will often get soft enough that the bend in the wire will cause the plastic to melt and pop up and away from the bend.  A soldering station can help prevent this problem, as you have some control over the temp.

The CAT5 plenum suggestion is a good one.
-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline bundee1

Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 01:07:06 PM
Can I buy a plenum cat 5e networking cable in a 9ft length and strip it to get enough wire for the project? For this project does shielded bs unshielded cat5 make any difference?   
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 01:34:50 PM by bundee1 »

Offline davet

Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 01:56:04 PM
I'm not sure I follow you on the 9-foot length. If you are talking about using a patch cable, i.e. it has a plastic connector on each end - yes, you can use this. Most of the time these patch cables are made of non-Teflon clad stranded wire, which will work as well as solid core.

If you are in the USA go to Lowes, Home Depot, etc. and buy a few feet of plenum Cat5. This will cost a lot less than a patch cable and it will have the Teflon clad wire.

Davet

Offline bundee1

Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 04:14:22 PM

Offline davet

Reply #21 on: December 01, 2009, 05:51:14 PM
You have selected the plenum cable. Unfortunately, the Belkin catalog list this as PVC (poly vinyl chloride) clad 24 gauge wires. This cable will adequately work for hook up wire for you project.

Davet

Offline bundee1

Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 07:20:39 PM
Dang I can still cancel it.

I might pick up some of this:
http://www.homegrownaudio.com/bulk_wire.htm

22 AWG OFHC Copper wire with FEP Teflon Insulation

$ 0.55/ft

Where does everyone else get their wire?

Is this acceptable?
http://cgi.ebay.com/24-AWG-Solid-Silver-Plated-Copper-Teflon-Wire-50-Feet_W0QQitemZ110464478024QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b8322b48
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 01:47:54 AM by bundee1 »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #23 on: December 07, 2009, 09:25:27 AM
I think I just got whiplash! 

I looked at the CAT 5 plenum cable then looked at the Homegrown Audio site.  The first thing on the page is solid Silver wire at $28/Ft.  That isn't what you were talking about.  Your wire is lower on the page.  But it made for a very dramatic comparison.

Offline bundee1

Reply #24 on: December 08, 2009, 12:22:29 PM
I found some cat5e plenum cable at a different Home Depot and bought some. Then a contractor friend gave me about another 50ft of cat5e plenum, so Im set. Any other words of advice, tutorials or websites I should visit before getting started?