Will there be a new CRACK version?

Mysterious Mose · 2715

Offline Mysterious Mose

on: November 07, 2011, 03:43:57 PM
I'm interested in acquiring the CRACK kit, but, from somewhere in the forum, I got the impression that a new version is planned for release soon.

Is this true and if so, would I be better off waiting for the release, or getting the current version?

Dan

Dan Kalish

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 06:12:29 PM
Like most of our developmental projects, the first mention of them often comes long before an actual product, and I'd guess that less than half of the possibilities mentioned here actually come to pass. Usually there is an upgrade kit to bring an older version up to the new standard. For example SEX and Paramount have recently been improved, and the upgrade for Paramount came out before the revised basic Paramount. Doc is working on the transformer replacement for SEX, which is the sonically significant part of the revision.

Here's the Crack situation in a nutshell, at least the technical part. We tried a modification that increased the current through the output tube. It seemed to improve the sound a bit, so Doc B took that modified version to RMAF. However, the increased current means increased heat under the chassis, so Doc will run it for a few months to see if the extra heat causes any new problems, such as reliability issues. If not, the mod (or a variant of it) would likely become an upgrade kit, and the amp would likely incorporate that the next time it is revised. It's a major pain in the backside to re-write a manual, so we usually wait for enough changes to accumulate before jumping to a revised design.

Probably that doesn't answer your question, but it does give you more information to help make your own choice.

Paul Joppa

Offline Mysterious Mose

Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 05:16:19 AM
Here's where I heard of a new model.

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,2239.0.html

All things considered, I'm ordering the basic Crack kit.  Birthday present from myself.

Dan Kalish

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 05:42:55 AM
The intention of the increased current mod is to lower the output impedance a bit so it can work with medium impedance headphones. IMO S.E.X. or Smack are still better choices for low impedance cans, depending upon whether you want warmth and body (S.E.X.) or resolution and dynamics (Smack). In terms of changing the sonics, maybe the mod changes the sound a little bit, maybe not. It's pretty subtle. So I would not think it would be a problem to go ahead and order one now. As PJ says we will offer an update kit if the design proves to hold up over time.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 05:00:37 AM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Mysterious Mose

Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 06:24:16 AM
My interest is in learning, with hands-on experience, about vacuum tubes and tube circuits.  Although I'm an audiophile, the sonics are secondary to these EE aspects.  Anyway, my main headphones are Sennheiser 650s.

Funny - I've come full circle with understanding active devices.  In junior high school, I learned about vacuum tubes and built Radio Control transmitters and receivers.  Fast forward to 1989, when I was admitted to the Patent Bar.  I had a gut feeling about tubes, but was clueless about solid state.  I started a Master's Degree program in EE at George Washington University.  Other than working with some inventors at the Naval Research Laboratory about cold cathode emitters, I had no more contact with tubes.

So now, what I'd really like is an educational kit to study tubes.  I've searched and searched and came up blank.  Next choice would be an audio tube device with point-to-point wiring and a schematic.  I don't want a printed circuit board because I want to make some modifications so as to understand things.  Again, there are some but not at my price point of under $400.  I really can't see buying a $3,000. amplifier and modifying it.  Eek!  So now we come to Bottlehead kits.  They all look ideal, but to stay under $400., we have Crack and Quickie.  I've ordered the former.  I'm avoiding the Speedball ugrade because its on a pc board.  DIY might come later.

I can't wait!

Dan Kalish

Offline Laudanum

Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 04:48:35 AM
You'll end up with the Speedball upgrade regardless :-)
You'll love the amp and wonder if it can get any better (it's a natural curse).  Speedball is the least subtle of the most common upgrades so a logical next step. 

Desmond G.