Space Chair slightly OT

ironbut · 4286

Offline ironbut

on: November 17, 2009, 08:43:40 PM
Well I knew that someday my brain would turn to pudding and I'd start to really enjoy TV ads. But, now I've found a "Making of,.." ad about making and ad that I dig!

Here's a link to the ad but when you're done, watch "The Making of Space Chair".

steve koto

Offline Mudhiker

Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 03:51:17 AM
That's cool!  The related "making of" videos are unfortunately a bit heavy on the gushing marketing types and not enough showing the technology...

Isaac Gorton

Offline JIPPER

Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 04:26:19 AM
Agreed, great ad!

It was also an art project in 2004 by Simon Faithfull.  Apparently there is already some talk on youtube about whether or not Toshiba was "faithfull" to the original artist.  I am not sure either way. But interestingly, it seems that the 2004 footage was collected wirelessly on the ground during the flight rather than collecting the recorders upon their return to earth.

from http://www.artscatalyst.org/projects/space/airshow.html
A highlight of day was Simon Faithfull

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 05:51:06 AM
Speaking of suspending things from balloons, I love this:

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Len

Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 12:42:04 PM
Speaking of suspending things from balloons, I love this...

That is really cool. Right out of Aeon Flux.

Paramours
Paraglows
Excites
Heavily modded Soul Sister and Groove Thang
Quickie modded to active low pass filter
Quickie modded to headphone amp
Lots of Bottlehead parts used for building other stuff

Offline ironbut

Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 06:52:40 AM
Very cool Doc!
Now that's flying. Kinda reminds me of the first time I drove down the coast (No Cal) and saw a couple of hang gliders hovering above the highway on some thermals. I had to pull over and watch for a while (of course at that time in my life I was stoned to the bone).

There's just something so peaceful and natural about motorless flight. It really hits the soul dead center.

steve koto

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 07:21:04 AM
In my late 20s I lived in the Richmond and had the good fortune of two very cute 20 something girls living across the hall from me. One of them was a daredevil type, who would hang glide out at Fort Funston. She knocked on my door one day asking for help opening a jar or something, because her wrist was in a cast. She had been caught in a downdraft and ended up on a rooftop in Westlake...not always so peaceful.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.