Am I on the right track for my killer tube audio system?

Oldlistener50 · 3935

Offline Dr. Toobz

Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 02:45:43 PM
I listen to the same type of music as you (i.e., classic rock and jazz, though mostly pre-fusion for the latter), and recently sold a house where I had the amps in a similar-sized room with wood floors. The Klipsch Heresy III's I had built in late 2009 are rated 99dB @ 1W/1m, which is exactly what "Joppa's Rule" suggests is able to provide reasonable loudness from just two watts. Needless to say, I rarely had to use more than a quarter to half turn on the volume pot with the Klipsches! Unless you're keen on blasting out the windows, I'd say two watts on 99dB speakers is more volume than you may ever need. I'd be surprised if I ever use more than half of a watt, actually. Now it's more like 1/32W in a thin-walled NJ apartment. My Klipsches will have to be patient until I finish my post-doc and can move to a more music-friendly home!

Prior to having the Heresys built, I used a pair of $350 Polk RtI A1 speakers, which received a great review in Stereophile when they were released. These were only rated as 89dB/W/m, but more than sufficed for near-field listening from a couch just a meter or two away. They would not have been able to fill a room with sound on 2W, but got surprisingly loud and had great bass for such small (5") woofers. The SEX really is capable of driving a lot of speakers, provided that you don't expect stadium levels of loudness with anything less than horns. I should mention that the newer iteration of the SEX amp, which is the one you are considering to build, is supposed to have much better transformers than the version 2.0, which used Speco 70V transformers as autoformers. Those of us with the older version of the amp often have better irons built by MagneQuest, which is what I'm waiting for as we speak. So, the updated amp may actually be even more tolerant of off-the-shelf speakers and provide better bass than the auto former version I built in Feb. '09.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 04:54:32 AM
OL50,

Sounds likeyour room is very close to mine in size and sq footage.  While I ethically can't recommend them yet (as I haven't heard them myself), I think a call to Clark Blumenstein would be a great place to start.  The Orca/BUF system is essentially bi-amped and active in that there are no crossovers betwee the amps and the drivers, and neither the Orcas or subs have any daping material in them to further reduce efficiency.  Which all tanslates into more  musical goodness per watt.

The biggest concern I'd have would be with allthe ham gear on the same electrical circuit and all the RFI in the room, but only you know how much of an issue that will be.  May not be an issue at all.

Good luck,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Oldlistener50

Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 11:05:28 AM
Yeah, understand on the RFI issue but if I'm on the air I won't also be listening to music so should be a non-issue.

You know, when I look at my initial post I realize I mistitled it.  I do recognize that what I'm planning to put together will be a lot more than a "starter" system.

Offline elcraigo

Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 12:40:07 PM
Reminds me of hanging at a buddies house in the 60's. His Dad, an EE, did RF designs very well, small aircraft instrumentation. Big Ham guy - wall of Ham gear - think if there was a Marshall stack for Ham folks, with 300 meter (guessing) loop antenna.
I listen to a lot of different music, but 60's 70's rock / folk is on my list also. 10 years ago I had a 100W yamaha, then in the same room (large 22 x 24 x 17H) switched to Foreplay I & Paramour I. I liked it right away.
Fast forward 11 years --
Currently have Paramour I w/ SR45 (45 tubes), SEX, and Paramour II (2A3). I switch between them, a few months between swaps.
SEX is used for headphones all the time.
I do have 100 dBSPL speakers. I could do with a little less, but don't want to.
Heck - you could provide some good info on audio tube shielding by cranking up the Ham gear
You are probably right -- you are only getting started.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 01:19:03 PM by elcraigo »

Craig Lewis (elcraigo is a nickname a good friend who grew up in Mexico gave me)

Offline Oldlistener50

Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 09:53:24 AM
Today for the first time in probably 20 years.  Thank goodness I kept my small but good collection.

Hooked up my new TT to the (solid state - hangs head in shame) Yamaha receiver, plugged in my new Grado's and listened to some great music.  I can't get over how much better it sounds... I am hearing things I never heard back in the 70's, on the same albums.

So... I'm curious, when I get the Seduction and S.E.X. built, how much of an improvement will I see over the current configuration?

Thanks for tolerating a real noob here, I appreciate it.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 10:12:57 AM by Oldlistener50 »