Am I on the right track for my killer tube audio system?

Oldlistener50 · 3934

Offline Oldlistener50

Been lurking... I am planning my first tube audio system!  (Actually I have a high-end tube output Ham radio so I am familiar with the superiority of tubes).

Anyhow, the configuration I have in mind is: Seduction preamp, S.E.X. Amp (so I can drive both headphones and speakers), a Pro-ject Debut III turntable and some good headphones.

Does this sound like a good place to start?  I have to read up more on the various add-ons for the S.E.X. And Seduction.  

Thanks, and I appreciate any suggestions.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 07:46:01 AM by Oldlistener50 »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 12:34:07 PM
Yup, that sounds like a great combo.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Dr. Toobz

Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 02:16:53 PM
I basically have your proposed setup for my main system: a Bottlehead Seduction w/ C4S upgrade, a Quickie w/ PJCSS, and the version 2.0 SEX amp with C4S upgrade (and in about five weeks, nickel transformers from MagneQuest). Turntable is a Music Hall, which is essentially a re-badged Pro-ject (the tonearm even says Pro-ject!), and headphones are Sennheiser HD650's. Speakers are Klipsch Heresy III. I really don't think you can go wrong with this lineup!

Don't let the "entry level" moniker fool you: this is some serious gear. It's the audio equivalent of ordering the cheapest entree at the most respected restaurant in the city: sure, there's more expensive things on the menu, but you're still getting something that's better than 95% of what you'd eat elsewhere. As your system grows and your tastes in tubed gear mature, there are plenty of ways to squeeze even more performance out of these particular offerings. That's why most of us seem to be repeat customers (I've built five kits by now, I think).

Did I mention that there's nothing quite like receiving a Bottlehead box in the mail, leisurely constructing the kit over several evenings, and watching it come to life when you flip the switch for the first time? It's like Christmas morning for guys over 30......

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 02:50:58 PM
I'll third what Dan and Angelo have said -- you just can't go wrong with this setup and aside from thhe C4S boards for each and maybe some tube rolling for the Seduction, and possibly some cap upgrades at some point, there's nothing to do but enjoy the music.

Oh, and maybe a couple of BH power cord kits to top it all off.

Only prooblem is it's hard to predict whether you'll enjoy building it or listening to it more.

You came to the right place.

Good luck, and welcome,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 03:38:48 PM
Welcome and I'm certain you will be delighted with the setup.  The C4S upgrade is good advice.  Enjoy....

John

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 04:05:58 PM
You will love it and you might find it to be the only system you ever need. 

Once you build one of these and hear how great it sounds you will be hooked.  Plus, you can't ask for a better and more helpful bunch of forum members then those that haunt this forum.  Oh, and they are pretty knowledgeable, too.  You will get rant-free advice that is backed up with facts and experience.  I have learned so much in the last few months.

Enjoy the build, then enjoy the music.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 12:51:09 AM
It is addictive.  You start with just a Seduction (as I did) then you add an amp.  The solder fumes are calling to you and you find you can't listen because you are wanting to sniff more solder.  

So you add a C4S or two, you swap capacitors, you swap resistors, add a stepped attenuator, new plugs and jacks, upgrade iron, a Bottlehead Power Cord.  You can't stop sniffing and your life starts a downward spiral....

Next you stop listening all together.  You start soldering your copper pipes (you have to drain them first, trust me on this).

SLAP!  Ok, I'm better now.

Seriously, this is a great hobby.  You will find it rewarding and be rewarded with much finer sounding music than you could afford at the price Doc charges.  Not to mention that the forum can knock out any problem you have.  

Two things to help you.  After ordering and before the kit arrives troll the folder for your products an find out if there are any manual corrections that haven't been updated into your instructions.  Sometimes it is just a change in a part, it might look different (MJE350s come to mind here).  Thus armed scan the posts in your kit's folder in the forum to see what has confused others.  Most kits are assembled exactly to the instructions and work first time.  Now you are ready to go when the kit arrives.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 04:16:31 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Laudanum

Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 04:47:16 AM
I'll just second, third, fourth and ditto everyone elses sentiments here and maybe add a couple of my own.
I decided to build a simple headphone system for listening from my Archie Bunker chair (old, torn recliners, wife wants me to get a new one etc. etc.)   Source was going to be a digital player and  I decided on the Crack.  Then I added a CDP from the main system, then I decided I had to add vinyl.  So I bought a second table for this system, a budget, used deck and I built Seduction (Haggerman Cornet in the main system, I like them both but I think I prefer Seduction).  I also added Foreplay so I didnt have to swap cables between my now less simple headphone system which now had 3 sources.  And also so that I can add an amp and speakers later on if so inclined.   

Those entry level tables like the Debut III are play music.  They are simple in design and they play music.  They arent TOTL and arent expected to be.  But they are generally well reviewed for the price and they are capable.  I think your approach ... Table, Seduction, S.E.X amp ... is a very good one.  You cant go wrong with Bottlehead gear and you cant go wrong with the support from the Bottlehead gang and the good folks on this forum.

Welcome.

Desmond G.

Offline Oldlistener50

Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 05:57:05 AM
Wow, thanks for all the nice responses!

Not at all concerned about my kit-building abilities, been building electronic stuff for a long time.  I will remember the tip about checking for manual updates before beginning assembly, that's a good idea.

I guess my only question is, does the S.E.X. have enough juice to power speakers (I looked at and like the S.E.X.y speakers) to make some noise (when it's just me at home and I want to really hear the music) or will I need to have something with more power to really crank up the sound?

Thanks!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 06:14:08 AM
The SEX and SEXY speakers are made for each other.  Really!

Offline John Roman

Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 06:56:55 AM
Hello and welcome to the group!
Regarding db level the more efficient the speaker the louder the sex amp will be. It doesn't take as much to drive an 97 db rated speaker as opposed to  a 92 db speaker. In a smaller room you may be completely happy with a 92 db or even less.

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 07:23:41 AM
By my standard rule of thumb, you want a 99dB speaker efficiency to "satisfy most audiophiles most of the time". That's pretty loud, actually. The SEXy is 96dB, a barely perceptable difference - I'd say it would "satisfy a majority of audiophiles most of the time." For what it's worth, I use mine with 89dB speakers in a pretty small room for watching movies and have never run out of steam.

Paul Joppa

Offline Oldlistener50

Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 01:36:09 PM
Great!  Again, thanks for the replies and good info.  I'm psyched to start getting things together.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 01:53:25 PM
OL50,

If you could tell us some things like what you listen to, how loud you want to listen, the size of the room, some general things about the room such as whether it's full of books, heavily padded furniture and thck carpet or rugs, or pretty bare, lots of glass, woood floors, etc, it helps to narrow the potential choices a bit.  Of course nothing is 100% predictable, but my preferencdee is to match the speakers to the size of the room, typical listening distance, and what's important to the listener in terms of musical preferences/listening preferences.

Take a look at the following site:

http://www.blumenstaein-ultra-fi.com

Especially the Orca and BUF sub(s) and then read the page on amplifier suggestions.  I've not heard these myself, but plan to order a pair sometime soon (and fairly shortly I should be taking delivery of a pair of the Nagas and BUF subs for my listening room syste.

I heard the new s.e.x. amp at RMAF with my IEMs and it was in the top two or three amps for these -- liked it so much I ordered one even though I have the original s.e.x. 2.0 -- but I didn't get a chance to hear it with any other cans or speakers).  Not true, I did hear it with the AKG K701/2s but I've just never got used to the sound of those cans.  The IEMs BTW, were he Shure SE425s with an upgraded Lune silver cable, if that helps.  I was also cocerned about the possibility of background nois, being atube amp, and with the very sensitive IEMs, but that was all for nothing -- no noise to speak of (which on these IEMs is very impressive indeed.)

The old version of this amp was a real overachiever, and from my brief time with the new one at the show, I am inclined to think thi version takes it all up a notch or two.

Sorry, I've not heard the seduction, but just bought an Eros kit.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Oldlistener50

Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 02:08:11 PM
The room is only about 8'x14' (man cave/Ham shack)  Brick walls on two sides, plaster on the other two.  Wood floors.  A desk and some wrap-around wooden surfaces for the Ham gear.

Through an open doorway is my bedroom, which is about 14'x22'.  Also wood floors, plaster all around. 

For music, I enjoy classic rock (60's & 70's) and jazz.

Thanks!