Different Power Supply for Seduction

Guest · 11823

Frank Mena

on: November 18, 2009, 04:48:48 AM
Greets all....
Kevin has this external Power supply for his Seduction (see link and go to bottom of page)

http://beggingdogrecords.tripod.com/seduction.html

Questions:  1) has anyone else done this? 
                2) I think Mikey no longer makes the PGP 8.1........ is there something else one could use?
                3) Could this PS be changed to use Schottkeys (sp?) instead of the tube rectifier?

Thanks all...
p.s.
  Still waiting for your outboard power supply pics of you seduction Grainger!!!!!

Muchas Gracias
Frank M

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 05:37:42 AM
I built my Seduction stock with the power supply outboard just because I had a box and some cabling.  Then I added some capacitance.  Nothing like Kevin's.

The Monster is still under construction.  I made a wiring mistake and smoked two fuses.  I am hoping that I didn't fry the winding.  I haven't repaired it yet. 

After the PS is complete I have to modify my C4S to take dual mono power supplies.  So there still is more to come before it is playing.

I promise a post with pictures of the works and top as soon as it is complete.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 08:24:23 AM
Grainger's Seduction supply will be very, very close to this.  I would recommend a power transformer that puts out a little less B+, as the 40ma and 65v of compliance across the device is asking a lot in terms of heat dissipation.  You might check with Doc and see if you can buy an Eros transformer for such a project.

I would use something like a 6CG7 and set the forward current from the power supply to be more like 14-20ma. Also, a stabilizing zobel network after the regulator is a very, very good idea. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 09:31:48 AM
We have talked about making the Eros power supply available - transformer, power supply board with series-regulated 6.3vDC for heaters, and the hybrid shunt regulator with 12BH7. That would just about exactly power a Seduction circuit, with a small amount of extra current available to run the second stage triode a bit hotter.

Paul Joppa

Offline bernieclub

Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 02:06:16 AM
I'll buy as soon as it's available!

Bernie Zitomer

Offline Grainger49

Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 02:56:21 AM
It has got to be cheaper than what I have spent and I got some parts contributed.

Frank Mena

Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 03:02:53 AM
..."We have talked about making the Eros power supply available - transformer, power supply board with series-regulated 6.3vDC for heaters, and the hybrid shunt regulator with 12BH7"

I'd also buy as well as soon as its available.

Cheers
Frank M

Offline mingles

• My system
Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 07:01:37 PM
+1 for the Eros PS.