Step 1 complete

Oldlistener50 · 1876

Offline Oldlistener50

on: November 25, 2011, 12:49:27 AM
Got my new TT and headphones... been listening to vinyl, fortunately I kept my small album collection from the '70s. 

Currently using my Yamaha HT receiver.

I think my next step is to build a Seduction.  Once I have it built, (until I can do the S.E.X.) I should be able to feed the output of the Seduction into another (non-phone) input on the receiver correct?

Any feedback on what improvement I will hear with this interim setup (using Seduction instead of the receiver's phono preamp)?

Thanks!

Offline elcraigo

Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 01:23:25 AM
Seduction.  Once I have it built, (until I can do the S.E.X.) I should be able to feed the output of the Seduction into another (non-phone) input on the receiver correct?
Yes, plug Seduction into a line level input. This is exactly how I go started back into building kits. I had built dynaco & heathkits in highschool.
I started with tube phono into a Yamaha CA1010 integrated amp, which has both MC / MM inputs with adjustable impedance, so really not a bad phono section. I noticed an instant improvement.

Craig Lewis (elcraigo is a nickname a good friend who grew up in Mexico gave me)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 03:13:05 AM
First, what Craig says above. 

The tubes will add a dimensionality that you probably don't hear with the SS Yamaha.  IMHO, it will most likely sound smoother and richer, two things that are also good in a second wife.

Offline Oldlistener50

Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 03:23:20 AM
I think it would be hard to have two wives at the same time...

Thanks for the feedback!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 04:06:55 AM
Nope, I was divorced for three years in between #1 & #2.

Offline Oldlistener50

Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 01:38:13 PM
I plan to install the C4S upgrade when I build the Seduction.

Any suggestions for interconnect cables back to the Yamaha? 

Offline corndog71

Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 04:56:48 PM
Blue Jeans Cables has a nice shielded, low capacitance cable custom made by Belden.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 03:33:07 AM
As Rob mentions shielded cable is suggested.  There are a number of unshielded cables out there that sound good with higher level signals.  I tried some of them from my Seduction to my FP 2 but got a little hum.  So I would say any good shielded cable would be fine.  I have a preference for braided shields mostly because they are more flexible.