Wish You Were Here SACD

Dr. Toobz · 1506

Offline Dr. Toobz

on: November 25, 2011, 03:53:46 PM
Just in time for my used Marantz SA-8001 to arrive, it looks like Pink Floyd's WYWH is finally out on SACD!

Anybody pick up this disc yet? I'd like to hear some impressions before ordering - since it is a steep $35 for an album I've already owned on three different formats (a beat-up LP, a tape I wore out, and the 1994 remastered CD version). I'm not set up for multi-channel, since I don't have enough amps, speakers, or even a multi-channel player (the Marantz is 2-channel only), so I'd be curious as to what people think about the stereo DSD layer.

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 05:20:32 PM
I don't have the disc but I'm jealous. That was one of the first vinyl albums I bought when I was in High School.  I was probably a freshman.  I totally wore that thing down on a cheep K-Mart TT/Radio combo.  I did most of my listening then through a set of Koss headphones because our house was so small and I couldn't listen to the speakers late at night.

I still keep that one in rotation.  Looking forward to your impressions of the SACD. 

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 05:44:55 AM
Hi Toobz - I'm also a big Floyd fan. I have been reading about the new 2011 remasters. The reviews seem mostly positive. Capital Records is also releasing 24/96 versions on Blu-ray. They are included in the big bucks "Immersion" box sets. I'm a computer audio convert so I need to rip my music to play it. I have the tools to rip blu-ray but alas, SACD has not been cracked (at least not easily!). I remember reading one reviewer that has commented that he likes the SACD/DSD sound of DSOTM over even the new immersion blu-ray 24/96 stereo version. Im sure, as with all things audio YMWV.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.