Crack only able to produce faint volume, need help.

tdogzthmn · 1929

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
on: November 26, 2011, 07:27:19 PM
I recently transported my amp to and from my parents house.  When I got home and set it back up again I found I was only able to hear sounds at a very low volume event though I have the knob turned all the way up.  I tried switching the source, replacing the tube I had in the sockets and did a quick visual inspection to see if there were any noticeably loose connections but found nothing.  Any ideas where the problem might be?  I hope it's not a serious problem!

I also remembered that it was playing at a normal volume but only in the left channel, I turned the amp off removed a tube and put it back in but when I turned the amp on for the second time the volume was very low.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 07:30:55 PM by tdogzthmn »

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 10:24:18 PM
Just wanted to give an update and report I was able to fix the problem by changing both tubes out with new ones.  I suspect the 6080 is defunct, but thankfully I have several replacements!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 08:11:54 AM
Glad you found the trouble so easily...

The second step to troubleshooting, after you do what you did, is to check the resistance readings.  If not post any resistance reading greater than 15% (plus or minus) from the expected.  Post only those out of spec and also post the expected resistance.

If they were OK go on to the voltage readings.  Same as above, anything out of spec by greater than 15%.  Post only those out of spec and also post the expected voltage.  This will assist the forum to help you without flipping pages in the manual on a computer screen.

You are in luck but anyone reading this will now know the best way to post for help.