Cheap way to cool off your equipment.

bainjs · 1881

Offline bainjs

on: November 29, 2011, 01:56:24 PM
With my FPIII and S.E.X. Installed in a cabinet with glass doors, things got pretty hot after an hour or so of playing.  My solution is a cheap very small tabletop fan from Walmart ($6) connected to an old ceiling fan speed contol I had laying around.  I mounted the fan in the cabinet behind the equipment. At half speed, you cannot hear the fan and the equipment is barely warm.  Is it possible to cool it off to much?  Do the tubes need to be at a certain temp to work at their best?  If so, I can turn the speed down some more to warm it up a little.  I'll post pics if there is any interest.

Thanks

Joel

Joel Bain

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 11:58:07 PM
Good idea.  I'm particularly impressed with the use of the ceiling fan controller.

I don't think there is a likelihood that you would cool the tube too much.  I've worked on a welder with tube rectification which was water cooled.  It wouldn't operate without water flow.  The heater needs to heat the cathode enough to get the electrons moving, ready to jump off when the voltage is applied.  It might even make your tubes last longer.

Yes, post a picture.  Any DIY will be welcomed here.

Offline pro_crip

Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 01:49:58 AM
Wouldn't a basic pot work in place of the fan controller? Thanks for listening.

Rich

Richard J Feldman
Professional Gimp,connoisseur of Bourbon and Vinyl, metalhead

Crack, Extended FPIII, Eros, Paramount 300B's (in the midst of construction)

Tune down, smoke up

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 03:59:52 AM
Richard,

It depends.  If the cheap fan is DC, yes, if AC, no.  AC motor speed is synched with the frequency of the current, DC motors with the magnitude of the voltage.

Offline bainjs

Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 05:58:43 AM
Grainger is correct.  I've seen some basic controls for under $20.  I also added an indicator light to show when it's on and the intensity varies with the speed.  If you had to buy everything new, it should be around $30.  Pretty reasonable I think. I'll try to post a pic tonight.

Joel

Joel Bain