OT-The Soundtrack of Nobodies Life?

ironbut · 1398

Offline ironbut

on: December 03, 2011, 04:51:49 PM
Every once in a while, one of the members here asks about an obscure album from his/her past.
I'm sure that the album ghosts are overjoyed to hear someone asking after them.
But what of those thousands of releases that nobody asks about, let alone pines to hear again.

Recordo Obscura to the rescue!
Check it out;

http://recordoobscura.blogspot.com/

steve koto

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 09:00:57 AM
Very interesting.  One is Switched On Bach, by Walter Carlos.  I was familiar with this when it came out.  But... it seems Walter made a switch and became Wendy Carlos shortly thereafter.  

And yet no mention of Doug Clark (and the Hot Nuts), Skillet and Leroy's Burglar In The Bedroom (won't say more look elsewhere) or Firesign Theater.

My Switched On Bach Story:

My sister's second husband was an audiophile.  The kind who bought whatever was well reviewed in that magazine.  But he was a fun guy so I never held it against him.

One day at their house he brings out Wendy Carlos, Switched On Bach.  I was confused, I assumed it was Walter's daughter.  We went head to head and finally found information on the transformation, Oh My!  We both sat in dismay.  Neither of discussed it again.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 02:13:35 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline RayP

Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 05:02:46 AM
Switched on Bach! My sister bought the record when it first came out and I remember really enjoying it, particularly the 3rd Brandenburg. At the time a few people tried to tell me it was a computer like performance but I felt it got away from the somewhat stodgy performances that I had heard on record up until then. You can hear the echoes of Walter / Wendy's ideas in many subsequent recordings of the piece.

ray

Ray Perry

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 03:44:30 PM
I have a "Switched on Bach" story to add:

When I was in High School (late 70s) I worked at a Theme Park called Silver Dollar City near Branson, MO.  It was a great job for a high school kid and most of my friends worked out there as well.  One of the big attractions at the park was Marvel Cave (still is).  The first room you enter on the tour is enormous.  You can fly a hot air balloon in there.  So back then, they would get you in that big room, turn out the lights, and play "Switched on Bach".  This was a great way to demonstrate just how big the room was.  You could really hear the size of the room better than you could see it.

They stopped doing this after I moved on because it was disturbing the population of bats in the cave.  They did the right thing but I will always think of those cave tours whenever I hear "Switched on Bach".

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 02:14:50 AM
Steve,

Sorry I have skidded your thread sideways.  I will be trying the AC cord and scope deal today among all sorts of other duties I have.