Belden 8450

Dr. Toobz · 1792

Offline Dr. Toobz

on: December 03, 2011, 06:51:28 PM
I've been lining up components and wire to do a partial rebuild of my nearly 3 year-old SEX amp once my nickel iron set arrives from MagneQuest in a few weeks. I figure that my skills have become much more refined in the past three years, so I will be concentrating on re-doing things like the signal and power wiring, plus the tube sockets. Things gave gotten messy under the hood due to an inability to resist the urge for experimentation.

That said, I managed to find the Belden 8450 2-conductor cable used in the SEX for only 17 cents per foot. Due to shipping costs, I went ahead and ordered 25 feet, way more than I need. So, here's my question: in places where there is twisted Alpha teflon wire carrying signals, could I just use the Belden instead? It's only rated for 300V, so replacing the transformer and choke wiring would obviously be a non-no; I have some more 22AWG, solid-core teflon wire on the way for that (thanks to eBay).

For example, the wiring to the speaker jacks is twisted pair, as is the wiring from the headphone jack to the terminal strips. Would the shielded wire work as well (or better), especially if I were to ground one end of the drain wire? I understand that twisted wire cancels out magnetic fields, but doesn't a grounded shield do the same?

Is the Belden stuff actually twisted inside of the cable? I can't tell from the photos, nor do I remember from the last time I stripped it.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 06:54:03 PM by Dr. Toobz »