lost in translation

howardnair · 3168

Offline howardnair

on: December 11, 2011, 01:39:18 AM
 the bottlehead eros and seduction just can't compare unless they have this type of rectifier and  current regulator

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEIXING-MINGDA-Phono-Preamplifier-/180617776964?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0da88f44

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 02:21:04 AM
If you have no features make one up:

Features:
 rectifier with bile, gallbladder regulation.

Offline Laudanum

Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 02:21:24 AM
My wife had her gallbladder removed a couple years ago.  I wonder if they are using it in one of those phono stages ?

Desmond G.

Offline Oldlistener50

Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 05:08:29 AM
Kinda reminds me of a story I read some time ago, some company translated their tag line (something like "gives you more energy", must've been vitamins or something like that) into Chinese; unfortunately in Chinese the translation came across as "brings your relatives back from the dead".

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 06:27:29 AM
the bottlehead eros and seduction just can't compare unless they have this type of rectifier and  current regulator

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEIXING-MINGDA-Phono-Preamplifier-/180617776964?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0da88f44

We've been welding the entire manual scaffold since 1994.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 06:29:49 AM
Yeah, you can have some great fun translating various quotes, idiomatic expressions and cliches into another language and then back to english.  Wish I could remember some of the better ones, but many were uproariously funny.

There are a good number of "interesting" translations on the Yamamoto web site too.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 10:09:09 AM

We've been welding the entire manual scaffold since 1994.

But is it "rectified with bile and have gall bladder regulation?"

I'm not being racial here but do you realize the official language for assembly instructions today is Engrish?

Offline Chris

Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 08:05:48 PM
THAT is priceless guys hahaha....Living In Indonesia, I see this kind of thing on a daily basis, EVEN from big electronics companies like LG, on the washing machine, they choose to put a big sticker with all the unique features in English on the machine, and it sounds absolutely ridiculous!!! I just always wonder why they can't hire somebody like me there in korea, who can just consult with them for maybe 5 MINUTES, and set them straight... mind blowing...  a funny one i see, is at a really nice shopping place that has a huge statue, it is very nicely done, and many people always want their picture taken with the statue... well one day , I walked over to see what the fuss was about, and the statue was of a woman with wings, and then i looked at the plaque down below to see who this beautifully made statue was.... and it said    "GOODDESS OF KNOWLEDGE" ... it is really unbelievable sometimes.... not sure i will be praying to the Gooddess for knowledge anytime soon, I am dumb enough ALREADY!!! haha

Offline jamestw

Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 01:18:49 AM
It means " TUBE rectifier and regulation."

The tube or valve in old school chinese it's same word "gallbladder", yes, just same as organ name.
But I think most chinese says "vacume tube" nowadays instead "gallbladder", This seller must was using something like google translate directly made chinese to english ...... HA.

james

Offline Grainger49

Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 02:42:10 AM
James,

Interesting, that makes sense now.  Odd that the language didn't change to accommodate new technology (tubes).  Japanese has a phonetic alphabet to accommodate new words like Beeru, beer is very popular there.

Offline jamestw

Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 03:12:02 AM
Yes Grainger,
in japanese language they do not have retroflex consonant, it's difficult for a japanese to pronounce 'R', so 'L' becomes easy to speak out than 'R'. they actually say 'Beelu' :)
Just like spanish or latin language has some 'bomb retroflex' (?) ,it's very difficult to me, Asian languages do not have this kind of pronunciation.

:)
james

Offline jamestw

Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 03:15:13 AM
But, who care...
beer or beeru or beelu, anyway we know it's a happy time :)

james

Offline Chris

Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 03:27:08 PM
yeah, I may have been guilty of calling it beelu, myself after a few too many.. It can get you out of many tight jams... "uh , sir , have you been drinking? .. NOooo , just a cupla beelus sir..... or Honey can you fetch me another Japanese Beelu tea please? "sure Dear she says, I really like it that you have stopped drinking beer in favor of this much healthier alternative!"....... Uhh yeah ok, maybe that would only work with Archie Bunkers' wife...... :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 09:15:27 PM by Chris »

Offline Chris

Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 03:34:14 PM
yep, Ben Franklin's japanese cousin was famously quoted as saying......." Beelu is Proof That God loves us and wants us to be happy. " :)

Offline jamestw

Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 05:44:41 AM
......." Beelu is Proof That God loves us and wants us to be happy. " :)

So true, Chris, I like it.

:)
james