Design questions

Paul Joppa · 24936

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
on: October 15, 2009, 01:53:40 PM
Here are some notes on the not-yet-released Stereomour, based on questions recently asked on the old forum:

The circuit is pretty much the old Paramour circuit, with new plate chokes and output transformers (similar quality to the Paramount iron, and a step up from the old stock units).

Specifics:

12AT7 driver, shared between channels

0.1uF/600v coupling cap

coupling cap 3.3uF/600v (nominal optimum would be 2.5uF for 2A3, 5.0uF for 45)

three switched inputs, single volume control, no headphones

C4S driver load is standard

2A3 uses paralleled resistors in the power supply and cathode bias, one of which is removed for 45 operation, and the plate choke tap is switched between 45 and 2A3. No other changes.

Can operate a 2A3 as if it were a 45, for more conservative operation

If there is enough demand, and when he gets caught up, I expect Magnequest will have some upgrade iron, but there is no suitable output transformer yet.

For what it's worth, the (hopefully!) final iteration on the power transformer and output transformers have just arrived in the lab. I'll be checking them out while Doc B sorts out some other final details of parts selection and layout before we assemble the production prototype for the manual photos.

Incidentally, once this is a going concern I hope we can assemble the various bits of prototype parts into a few unique, assembled versions of the amp.

Paul Joppa

Offline BNAL

Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 12:08:48 PM
Will there be room to install another tube for a shuntreg 45?

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 02:54:16 PM
Looking at the earlier prototype (sitting here in my lab, i.e. basement) I don't think so. I do have a couple other ideas though:

1) A farm of Zener diodes could provide shunt-regulated power to the 45 version. Not as good as the hybrid, of course.

2) A new, fully shunt regulated 45 amp, with DC filament power. This would be a higher-end amp, maybe something like Eros as compared to Seduction.

Paul Joppa

Offline shelby1420

Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 01:38:58 PM
Hi Paul, what would the difference if any in wattage output?

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 05:52:09 PM
Stereomour will have the same power and distortion as the Paramour, except in the deep bass where the new Stereomour iron will do better in the distortion department. That's all I can say until we get the final prototype running - which should be pretty soon, actually.

I see this thread is four months old, and just last week we **finally** got the correct prototype iron in the lab. The bum economy has been hitting our suppliers as well as everyone else.

Paul Joppa

Offline shelby1420

Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 12:50:30 AM
Hi Paul, what power did the Paramour have?

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 02:46:32 AM
The Paramour (1) (2) (Stereomour) is 3.5WPC.

Offline shelby1420

Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 07:24:49 AM
Thank you, so just to make sure.....  there will be two options of the stermour--one a 2a3 version ( kinda like a seduction level) and a 45 version ( more like a eros level) and they will both have 3.5 watts ,yes?

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 08:34:51 AM
It seems to be shaping up to be 2-1/2 options:

1) Stereomour stock with 2A3's - 3.5 wpc
1.5) Stereomour modded for 45's - 2 wpc
2) Some kind of shunt reg 45, probably monoblocks, probably ~2x the price of Steremour - 2wpc

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 08:48:07 AM
Hmm - I was posting while CB was posting, and mine seems to have failed to get onto the forum.

Mine was much longer, but I think he's covered the basics.

I'll just add a bit about levels. I see the Seduction and SEX amp as entry level, with Eros and Paramount as our high end. The Stereomour, both 2A3 and 45, will fall in between those levels. The shunt-reg 45, if it becomes a product at all, will be at a higher level than the Eros and Paramount. (Quickie is kind of an oddball, but on average I'd call it entry level.)

Paul Joppa

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 08:49:31 AM
OK, found a copy of my first try, here it is:

No, sorry for the confusion.

The 2A3 is capable of 3.5 watts in normal use. We've used it this way for a long time - the original Paramour monoblock was my first electronic design for Bottlehead. Some years ago it morphed into the Paramour II, using the same output stage and producing the same power. That design was discontinued last fall, and will be replaced with the Stereomour, still using the same output stage and producing the same power but in a stereo integrated amp design. There have been other improvements, but the output stage has remained the same.

The 45 is a lower power tube, due to a lower maximum dissipation and a higher plate resistance. All versions of the Paramours can be modified to use the 45, but they will all produce only 2 watts that way. The modification adjusts the current and voltage for optimal performance with the 45 tube. For the first Paramour, this was an experimental after-market modification, but with Paramour II and the Stereomour the option is included in the kit and instructions.

Normally Bottlehead does not supply the 45 tubes - they are not available as inexpensive new production, and most enthusiasts have their favorite versions anyhow.

As to "levels", I would say that the SEX amp and Seduction are our entry level products, with the higher end products being Eros and Paramount. The Stereomour (both 2A3 and 45 versions) will fall in the middle between those products.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned a project I am working on, which is a fully shunt-regulated 45 amp - this will be at a level above the Eros and Paramount, and I don't know if there will be enough demand for it to become an actual product. It was probably a mistake to mention that in this thread, and I apologize for any confusion it might have produced. We always have a bunch of projects going on, and only some of them make it to the actual product stage.

Paul Joppa

Offline shelby1420

Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 09:12:39 AM
Ahhhhhhhhhhh, ok that clears it up for me Paul!!!  Can't wait to build this baby and hook it up to my Cornwalls or Hersey ll  !!

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline Grainger49

Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 09:54:50 AM
Paul,

From what I am reading between the lines, the fully shunt regulated 45 version of the Paramour would need all the power supply to run the 45?  That is kind of a question.  I am only guessing there.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 10:56:59 AM
I don't believe that power transformer for the Stereomour will be compatible with the demands for a fully shunt regulated amp.  (The SR45 idea that is kicking around would be mono amps)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Grainger49

Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 11:04:54 AM
Ok, so a different power transformer, same chassis as the Stereomour?