A suitable topic for this Forum?

tpatton · 1581

Offline tpatton

on: December 16, 2011, 04:55:36 AM
There's a component, put together by a gifted amateur designer, no company, that I'd like to tell fellow Bottleheads about.  Can I properly do that here?  It doesn't compete with any Bottlehead product.

Thanks for your guidance on this. 

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 09:26:12 AM
Yes, that's fine.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline tpatton

Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 04:52:12 AM
Thanks, Doc B, for the go ahead.  The product is a so-called Turbo DAC, made by Paul Porcelli, who has a day job.  Previously he put tubed output stages in CD players, and I met him through buying one of these, which had a nice analogue sound.  Then he "found a good chip" (meaningless to me) and came out with the Turbo DAC, which he sells for $295.  It needs a transport--I use a Sony ES CD player with Digital Out (not optical)--and a digital cable.  I compared it head to head with an Electrocompaniet EMC 1UP, mine upgraded to that current model, which retails for $7,290.  I couldn't tell them apart--both were the best CD sound I'd heard.  (So I'm struggling to sell the EMC 1UP.)  Suitable CD players with nonoptical Digital Out are widely available on eBay, and the digital cable needn't be fancy, so an extremely good CD-playing combo can be put together for well under $500.  I can't attach pictures to Forum posts, but email me at [email protected] and I'll be glad to send some of this Turbo DAC.