Heart of England Crack

gh0st · 4222

Offline gh0st

on: December 16, 2011, 10:58:17 AM
to go with the geographical naming theme, here's my completed Crack from Northamptonshire England. It's my first BH project, many thanks to Doc and the gang for an awesome kit, and members on the forum for inspiration on the upgrades (especially Mr. Davis' Puget Sound Crack for the Axon caps idea).

I use it with my DT770 600ohm, and it sounds superb. Totally black background, really deft mids and highs, and it pushes just the right amount of well-controlled bass into the 770s, which can be a bit bass-light, even with a solid amp. Case in point; to my ears, it sounds better into these 'phones than my Schiit Lyr.

Spec:
Crack kit + Speedball
TKD 100K 2CP-601S stepped log taper
91uF Axon truecap output coupling caps
2.2uF Axon truecap bypass on the last PSU cap
Kiwame 270R 1% 5W PSU resistors
Audionote 12mm brushed chrome volume knob

Tubes are a 1977 Russian 6SA7G, and NOS Sylvania 12AU7A

Wooden base was smoothed off and waxed with a light stain by my friend and wood-ninja Jeff.

(http://dl.dropbox.com/u/117085/audio/outside-front.jpg)

(http://dl.dropbox.com/u/117085/audio/inside-front.jpg)

(http://dl.dropbox.com/u/117085/audio/inside-side.jpg)

(http://dl.dropbox.com/u/117085/audio/inside-rear.jpg)

Dom V

Offline langendorf

Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 12:19:45 PM
Hi

Nice finish on the wood :)

I have the speedball on the way. And was wondering if i should chane the ceramic resistors at the tranformer. As they are the onlu ceramic left when the speedball is installet. Did it give any sonic difference?

Nice build :)

Sennheiser HD-800 - Crack

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 12:25:42 PM
And now I have been the victim of the "disappearing post syndrome."  I posted earlier.

Gh0st,

I'm a big fan of Big capacitors.  I appreciate your assembly and applaud your numbering the terminals. I know from experience that this can be a huge help when troubleshooting.

I know that the electrolytic cap on the output is a economy measure by Bottlehead but the Axon caps are a huge improvement.

I really think the tall volume knob is a great idea.

Welcome!

Offline gh0st

Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 01:20:37 PM
Grainger49: thanks for the kind words! I was pleased with how the tall volume knob turned out, quite understated - it was one of the only things I could find with 20mm internal length to accommodate the shaft of the TKD mounted directly to the underside of the plate; I didn't fancy subjecting it the vibration needed to cut it down, nor spacing it off the plate somehow.

langendorf: Jeff said a light waxing would darken the wood enough to bring out the grain, I think he was dead right.

I can't make any claims about the sonic benefits of those resistors - I installed them at the same time as the Axons and TKD pot, so there's no way to ascribe a change specifically to them. I thought they were good value for a few bucks from partsconnexion, as I was buying the Axons anyway and shipping them across the Atlantic I thought I'd make the best of it. At a guess, I'd say that sort of thing is deep into 'diminishing returns' territory sound-wise.

Dom V

Offline lior.amsalem

Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 10:27:46 PM
WOW that looks awesome! I can't wait to get mine...

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 01:02:54 PM
That's a nice build.  Good job! 

That pencil thin knob really sets it off.  I've never seen one like it and it makes a nice statement.

I just finished my Crack as well and I hope you are enjoying yours as much as I am enjoying mine. 

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline gh0st

Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 04:50:43 AM
That's a nice build.  Good job! 

That pencil thin knob really sets it off.  I've never seen one like it and it makes a nice statement.

I just finished my Crack as well and I hope you are enjoying yours as much as I am enjoying mine. 

thanks, hard not to enjoy it! I'm trying to hold off the familiar 'urge' though - I've got a balanced beta22 almost finished, and then... Smack anyone?  :>

Dom V