6N2P-EV / 6H2N-EB tube: where can I use them?

tpatton · 13812

Offline tpatton

on: January 03, 2012, 03:59:17 PM
I got some of these tubes from Russia, marked 6H2N-EB (but not really N, I think), but Wikipedia says they're the same as 6N2P-EV.  I used them in a Paul Porcelli CD player's tubed output stage, but took them out when I got his amazing Turbo DAC, and now use that CD player, tubeless, only as a transport for that DAC.

But where, if anywhere, can I use these tubes?  They're closest, apparently, to 12AX7, ECC83.  But I tried them in two 12AX7 positions and they didn't light up, no sound. 

I'm not going to rewire any 9-pin tube sockets in order to use these tubes, not worth it since I couldn't then use 12AX7's there.  Is there any 6V position I could use them in?  Like one for a 6922.6DJ8?  Or do I have to give up.

Thanks to any expert who can advise me on this.

Offline Laudanum

Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 02:26:36 AM
It's 6 volt (6.3 volt) only.   It's not a direct sub, it requires re-wire of the socket.  But other than that, I think it's ok as a sub.   I think the gain is a little lower but I know these have been tried in place of 12AX7's, probably more commonly in guitar amps.   Pins 4 and 5 heaters and pin 9 (screen) would be connected to chassis, probably best through a small capacitor.   So yes, a minor socket re-wire required.   But others better with this stuff will chime in.  I considered trying these in another amp a while ago now.  I think I may actually have 3 or 4 somewhere.  I never did try them.  But again, wait for more informed info.

Desmond G.

Offline rock4016

Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 03:06:48 AM
They are pin compatible with the 6DJ8 and could be used in a circuit that is designed for a 6DJ8, but it will most likely not be loaded properly.  I tried one in a decware amp, and it did work, but was not great.

I suppose if you had a circuit with an adjustable CCS load for the 6DJ8 and also it used an input transformer that had a reasonably low output impedance (say 600ohm) it could be interchangeable with good results, if you needed a lot more gain, for example.

Offline chard

Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 06:23:45 AM
Do You have a website or link for info on the Turbo DAC.

Thanks

Clifford Hard

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 08:17:40 AM
I had an amp that could use in place of a 6922/6dj8, and they added an unbelievable dimension to the soundstage, but other than that, they just didn't sound very good.  Not sure how they would perform in a more optimized circuit or something like a cathode follower type buffer, but as a gain stage, I was not impressed.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline tpatton

Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 10:54:28 AM

Thanks everyone for a lot of useful info on these odd tubes.  But mine will just sit in the drawer--unless someone wants them for the price of shipping, about $4, I'd guess.  [email protected] for that.

Chard, the email for Paul Porcelli's Turbo DAC is: [email protected].  Did I mention that I'm trying to sell an Electrocompaniet EMC-1 UP, upgraded to current model (retail $7,290) and with a transport/laser assembly with less than 30 minutes on it, because my Sony 505esD/Turbo DAC combo sounds every bit as good?

Offline jrihs

Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 05:52:36 PM
Here is a link to an adapter for 12ax7 ECC83 / 6N2 6N2P TUBES

http://www.ebay.com/itm/one-adapter-12ax7-ECC83-6N2-6N2P-TUBES-/260709967903?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3cb386681f

It costs allot more than the tubes do!

by coincidence, I just deleted (today) a schematic for the rewire for these tubes as well...downloaded from the internet...probably ebay.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 06:02:11 PM by jrihs »

John Rihs

Offline tpatton

Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 04:15:18 PM
I tried these odd tubes in 12AX7 positions in a Hagerman Cornet phono preamp, and today (after the tubes failed to light up and I put the original 12AX7's back in) the Cornet put some really odd and scary noises (not loud but nonetheless evil) through my power amps and speakers.  Might I have damaged the Cornet?  Hope not.

Any wisdom on this would be much appreciated.

Offline Laudanum

Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 04:01:53 AM
I tried these odd tubes in 12AX7 positions in a Hagerman Cornet phono preamp, and today (after the tubes failed to light up and I put the original 12AX7's back in) the Cornet put some really odd and scary noises (not loud but nonetheless evil) through my power amps and speakers.  Might I have damaged the Cornet?  Hope not.

Any wisdom on this would be much appreciated.

How did you re-wire the sockets for the different heater wiring on the Cornet board?  Remember, they are not drop in's,  they require re-wiring, pins 4 gets one side of the heater supply and pin 5 the other, pin 9 is a screen (to ground) . With 12AX7  pins 4 and 5 are wired together and getting one side of the supply and pin 9 the other.

Edit:  If you used the adapters that were linked, nevermind the above :-)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 11:41:03 AM by Laudanum »

Desmond G.

Offline tpatton

Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 02:20:36 PM
I didn't rewire the sockets at all.  That's why I wondered if having these tubes in the NOT REWIRED sockets could have damaged the Cornet.  I still wonder about that, and now that it's clear that I didn't rewire (which I should have made clear initially, sorry), maybe someone, Laudanum in particular, can tell me that.

Again, thanks.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 04:59:51 PM
I see by the manual which is online, that the Hagerman Cornet uses 6v power for the heaters, so the Russian tubes will have had no power to the heaters, but they won't have shorted out the heater power supply either. But the unloaded high voltage power supply would be running higher voltages, and there could be secondary damage to some passive parts from what amounts to an extended turn-on transient.

By far, the best thing is to ask Hagerman. He's a smart guy and knows what he's doing circuit-wise. If there is a sensitive part, he'll know - and the rest of us won't.

Paul Joppa

Offline tpatton

Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 01:45:58 PM
Thanks for this, Paul.  I used the Cornet once since, and it was fine, so I guess I was lucky.  Those strange tubes are now in the hands of a Bottlehead who knows what to do with them.  This episode is over.