Seduction hum (how much is normal?)

denti alligator · 26624

Offline denti alligator

on: January 09, 2012, 03:23:16 AM
In trying to locate the source of my turntable hum I got me some shorting plugs. Putting these in the input jacks, with the output going to my SEX amp I'm hearing noticeable hum when the volume pot is at 60 or higher. Normal?

It gets more noticeable when the turntable is plugged in.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 04:58:41 AM
Sam,

Very little hum is normal.  How does the SEX do with shorting plugs in the input and the volume at 60?

If that sounds very quiet then you have vindicated your table/arm/cartridge with the shorting plugs and located the hum to the Seduction (you lifted the TT ground wire, right?).  I'll post all the ground/circuit common terminals and you can check them.

Any terminal with a bunch of solder should be "wicked" then resoldered.  I'm a big fan of making a tight mechanical joint first.  That requires crimping the wire end with a pair of needle nosed pliers first. 

The fact that the hum increases with the TT on says you might not have a good ground.  Or that the TT needs the power cord flipped, rotated 180 degrees.  If you can't do that get a "cheater plug" and try flipping. 

We can beat this if you persist!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 05:00:32 AM
What kind of listening level is that setting? Too loud, or just right? Also, does the noise have a buzzy component or is it a soft 60 cycle hum? If it's buzzy you may have a ground loop with other gear that can be found by unplugging the other gear and seeing of the hum changes. Is the preamp near any equipment with a power transformer? If so try moving the preamp to see if it's picking up 60Hz from another piece of gear.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 06:55:35 AM
Shorting plugs in the SEX inputs gives me ZERO hum. None at all. But that doesn't tell me anything about the turntable, which then isn't plugged in.

The hum is kind of buzzy with some hum. The volume level is just right for me, which is maybe a little loud, but not too loud. It's right where I like it.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 07:13:25 AM
If it's buzzy then you usually have ground problem somewhere. I can't recommend it for liability reasons but some folks try cheater plugs to lift the ground on one piece of gear in order to break a ground loop.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 07:22:02 AM
Like a ground loop isolator? I've got one of those from Radio Shack. It doesn't appear to be making much of a difference, but let me try again.

I should say that I had a pretty nasty buzzing that was mostly eliminated by running a wire from the ground bus on the Seduction to the external power supply unit of the turntable.

Lifting that ground makes for an unbearable buzzing.

With that ground in place, I'm still getting buzzing. But I should also note that I have plugged a different turntable into the Seduction and heard almost no buzzing/humming, which seems to locate the problem elsewhere. Shorting plug experiment says otherwise...

I'm confused. And a bit frustrated.

- Sam

Offline denti alligator

Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 07:28:38 AM
More info:

The Seduction is sitting right next to the SEX on a glass shelf. Turntable above them. Turntable power supply a shelf below.

Cheap switch being used, but I'm not getting noise from the other two inputs, so I doubt this is the problem. Switch is behind the subwoofer, which is not turned on during listening. Also near wall power. Nothing else beside a floor light nearby. Phone on other side of the wall.

- Sam

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 07:31:28 AM
Ground loop problems imply two pieces not working together. So actually the experiment with the other turntable not making noise tells you that the problem is between the current turntable and Seduction. When you shorted the inputs on the Seduction was that wire still connected between the ttable and Seduction? If so try the Sed again without the Ttable connected to it at all. If the buzz goes away it may be that a cheater plug on the ttable cord (if it is three prong) will help.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 07:37:13 AM
Sam,

To be certain that nothing is radiating hum/buzz try spreading all electronics out with a foot of two between each using shielded interconnects.  This is a situation of it can't hurt.  

Try unplugging the power supply for the table with it still connected to the Rega and the Seduction.  Does it still hum/buzz?  It should since the shorting plugs didn't remove the problem.  

When you tried the shorting plugs did you lift the grounding wire from the turntable power supply?  You want no other connections except the interconnects to the SEX.  
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 05:18:20 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline denti alligator

Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 08:43:24 AM
It's so hard to tell now, but I moved the Seduction just an extra 10-12" or so from the SEX and I think it's better. I'm still getting hum at 70/75+ on the volume pot (shorted SEX or from TT), but I think this is normal, no? Playing Neil Young's Zuma right now at about 70 and hum is inaudible in between tracks (well, not the cleanest record, but...) and it's plenty loud.

- Sam

Offline denti alligator

Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 09:17:17 AM
So, yes, the buzz is gone. But again, a deep hum is present. So I put that ground loop isolator in between the turntable and the Seduction input and it got rid of the deep hum. Now there's only a higher pitched buzzy-humming that is very quiet, and only really noticeable at 90+.

So I guess I'm happy...

- Sam

Offline Laudanum

Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 09:21:31 AM
The RS Ground Loop Isolator  ... like this?   ... http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062214#

Desmond G.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 01:21:46 PM
Sam,

You might have to stop at a hardware store or Home Depot and find a "cheater."  This is a grounded to phased plug adapter.  It removes the ground on one component, this would be your TT power supply (PS).  The first thing to try is removing the ground from the PS.  Then you should try rotating the plug 180 degrees, this swaps the hot and neutral.  Both are standard hum busting techniques.  

Then there is a whole permutation of grounding wires.  You have one from the PS to the Seduction.  Have you run a ground wire from the table/arm to the Seduction?  (I know we went through this before but I don't remember the answers.)

I would expect that the ground on the PS is carried on to the TT, but maybe not.  You just have to seek out the combination that works for you.

The grounded terminals are T3, T8, T13, T18, T23, T28, T33, T38 & T43.  These are all connected to the chassis/safety ground. 

The circuit common terminals are T7, T10, T11, T14, T16, T20 and tube pins 4. 

Somewhere they are tied together with a wire or jumper, but I'm not sure where.  It may be at the ground buss at the inputs.

You should go over all these and check.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 01:31:13 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline denti alligator

Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 02:56:05 PM
Laudanum, yes, that's the one I have. I have a feeling now that the hum appears to be mostly eliminated with the ground loop isolator that the entire sound of my records has been 'thinned out,' that is, there's less bass. But maybe that's a misperception.

Can these devices affect the sound significantly? Well, I know they can, because the hum was eliminated, and also because I hid it behind some other wires that happen to have been near the switch I'm using, and this only brought the hum back. Keep the isolated itself isolated took care of that.

Grainger, thanks for the tips. I'll report back when I've found the time to investigate further.

- Sam

Offline denti alligator

Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 03:26:37 PM
Yeah, that ground loop isolator was killing the sound. Out it goes. I can live with hum if removing it means losing the heart and soul of the music.

The PS goes into the wall with a wall wart, so there's no ground. And anyway the hum is there whether it's plugged in or not.

But now I've moved the Seduction back next to the SEX and the hum does not increase, nor does the buzzing return. Weird, though it's now on the other side, so the inputs are no longer close to the other amp. Not sure if that makes a difference. Or rather, I guess that makes a difference...

- Sam