Replacing Bayerdynamic T90

ccoolliinn · 191

Offline ccoolliinn

on: March 03, 2024, 08:56:58 AM
I've been using a pair of T90 headphones with my Crack for some years now, but after making some changes to my main systems equipment and sound I'm now finding the T90's wearing.
The arrival of a new turntable, cartridge and phono stage has improved the sound to what we have wished for   8). Now when using the T90 instead of speakers I'm finding the balance too bright.
I looking for a more mid dominant balance without sibilance in the high end. Would love some HD800 but are too expensive for the amount of use they will get, the HD650 could be worth a try. Any feedback on the HD650 or other options would be welcome, thanks.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 09:09:13 AM
Check out your local Head-Fi meet and you'll be able to audition pretty much anything you're thinking of buying. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline ccoolliinn

Reply #2 on: March 12, 2024, 12:12:39 PM
Got a really good deal on some new HD650 so went for it, and I'm pleased I did. Wow just the sound I was hoping for, a bit of roll off of the top end but very smooth. The mid range is much richer with a punchy bass. The T90 are still a fantastic pair of headphones but tastes change, going back to them after listening to the HD650 confirmed the change was the right one.

Offline Mucker

Reply #3 on: March 16, 2024, 12:45:34 PM
Hard to beat HD600 or HD650 with OTL amps. I just scored a deal on Woo Audio WA22 and it really brings out the best of my HD600. Of course I have two Cracks with SB and an S3X and awesome reults there too. Can't go wrong. The HD650 or 600 is available for $300 from Sennheiser directly currently.