The Whamodyne files - ancient Bottlehead history

Doc B. · 26886

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
on: October 15, 2009, 02:17:31 PM
Here's a link to our early experiments with cost effective efficient speakers for low powered tube amps. We've learned a lot since those days, but it's still interesting reading.

http://www.bottlehead.com/valve/whamodyne%20files/whamo.html

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Keim

Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 09:02:27 AM
I built these speakers, and still use them.  They were easy to build, inexpensive and sound great.  In fact, people are amazed by the sound quality.  Very low WAF.

Proud owner of modified Foreplay II, extended Paramour IIs, bi-wired Super Whamodyne speakers and a Seduction pre-amp.

Life is better at 33 and a third.

Offline Tubejack

Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 05:05:07 AM
 I have a full complement of the ORIGINAL specified Whamodyne woofers, mids (I think I have 10, but need to confirm), and tweets which I purchased in 1997-98 in original boxes.  Too many projects, not enough time.  My workshop is in the environmentally controlled part of my house, where they have been stored, so no attic or basement effects - perfect as the day they were received.   With Doc's permission to post, I would like to offer them to a Bottlehead who will actually built a full Whamodyne system; for $150+shipping, from 79912.  Pls send me a PM if interested.

Note: I am traveling so it won't be possible to ship until 1st week Nov, if interested.

/jack

There are 10 types of people in this world,
Those that understand Binary and those that Don't!

Offline cspirou

Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 05:56:32 AM
I built these speakers, and still use them.  They were easy to build, inexpensive and sound great.  In fact, people are amazed by the sound quality.  Very low WAF.

I realize I am answering this 5 years later. But doesn't a low WAF mean that your wife doesn't like them? Aren't you suppose to aim for a high WAF?

Gaël Nguyen
Biophysicist and DIY audio enthusiast

My Setup so far; DIY Fostex fe83en speakers, Koss MV1 Studio Headphones, HIFIMAN re-400 and Topping TP21 amp.

Work in progress; gainclone and an Aleph 30 amp

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 02:54:50 PM
Gaël,

Dan's wife is "Queen Eileen" queen of Bottlehead.  She is into music, electronics, tubes and has been known to build a kit herself.  Not your average wife.  Neither is my wife, average.

Offline cspirou

Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 06:47:11 AM
@Grainger

My post was not about Dan but about Keim, who I quoted directly. Also I wasn't questioning what various interests our wives have but rather on his use of the term WAF itself.

Gaël Nguyen
Biophysicist and DIY audio enthusiast

My Setup so far; DIY Fostex fe83en speakers, Koss MV1 Studio Headphones, HIFIMAN re-400 and Topping TP21 amp.

Work in progress; gainclone and an Aleph 30 amp

Offline Brent

Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 06:59:47 AM
Gaël,

I don't think there is a discrepancy here: the speakers sound good but may not look good in your living room. Kim wasn't selling them, he was just describing them. As to whether you're "supposed" to aim for high WAF, that's up to the individual I guess.

Brent

Offline Keim

Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 02:47:44 PM
I realize I am answering this 5 years later. But doesn't a low WAF mean that your wife doesn't like them? Aren't you suppose to aim for a high WAF?

Much like you were slow in asking the question, I am slow in answering.  Yes-Wife Acceptance Factor.  In my case my wifes opinion of the looks of the speaker was not important.  They are in the basement, where I decorate.  ;)

On another note-I still use these speakers.  Just started bi-amping them using a minidsp 2x4hd and a Harman Kardon amp.  They respond REALLY well to bi-amping.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 02:51:30 PM by Keim »

Proud owner of modified Foreplay II, extended Paramour IIs, bi-wired Super Whamodyne speakers and a Seduction pre-amp.

Offline Llewellen

Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 05:51:57 PM
Reading through the archives brought back a lot of fond memories of the "good old days" when Valve was published in hard copy.

I still have a full compliment of drivers and tweeters in original boxes, and a set of fully dimensioned drawings that I did for the Whampipes.

However, I couldn't find dimensions for the original Superwhamodyne and sub, which I'm thinking I might finally build up.  Anyone have them or know where to find them?  Thanks.

So you've got the moves
but have you got the touch?
(R. Lange/S. Twain)

Offline Keim

Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 06:53:10 PM
I have them somewhere.

Offline Llewellen

Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 07:01:42 PM
@keim:  If you can remember where you put them and either post or forward them, that would be great and much appreciated.  Thanks.

So you've got the moves
(R. Lange/S. Twain)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 06:07:52 AM
It's in the VALVE archive, May 1996. Wow, I hadn't looked at the Whamodyne files in years. Not the best sounding speakers I ever did, but they looked pretty cool, and as I reflect on that era, they were somewhat instrumental in introducing me to people in the recording industry

https://s3.amazonaws.com/VALVE_Archive/VALVE_1996.zip

If you like those, you should hear the speakers we are working on now. They contain about four generations of improvements in our knowledge base. We're demoing them today at the DIY meet at Bottleheadquarters.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Llewellen

Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 06:21:14 AM
Thanks Doc.  It was s very long time ago that I heard the Whamodynes so I'm not quite sure what I remember of their sound  ::)  I do have the complete component kit (that didn't sell on ebay) so that's what prompted me to think about building them up.

I haven't seen a link to your new design but would be very interested.  Unfortunately, I won't be in WA state today so won't be able to hear them.  Where can I find them on your site?  Thanks and regards.

So you've got the moves
(R. Lange/S. Twain)