Lowthers in small boxes

ToolGuyFred · 2813

Offline ToolGuyFred

on: January 10, 2012, 02:35:29 AM
Hi Guys. First of all, I have to confess to being a Lowther nut. I run a factory-built pair of Acousta 115s with silver-coiled DX3 drivers, driven by fully-tweaked Parasex + Foreplay amps. (I will also confess to adding an active Kef sub to fill in where the Acoustas don't go.) All good.

In a couple of weeks we are having a morning's exhibition of items produced by local hobbyists in the village church hall. There will be limited space and mostly paintings, carvings, photographs, needlework etc. I plan to show a single Parasex, a single Lowther, a Tannoy sub and source from my Tascam 24bit recorder. Thing is, being a little limited for space, I'd like to put my odd PM7C into a small box as the horns are a little too large.

Lowther America suggests that an eight inch Lowther in a 1.5 cu ft box sould be good down to 150hz. This should be fine with the sub. Has anyone any experience of Lowthers in small sealed boxes?

John
Amateur Audiophile and Backstreet Boffin.
Original Foreplay with C4S + Sweet Whispers
ParaSEX amps with MQ nickel-cored outputs
Factory-built Lowther Acousta 115s with silver-coiled DX3s, wired in DNM solid-core
KEF active sub (help for the last couple of octaves).
Bottlehead DAC on batteries.