Audio Nirvana speakers

butchbass · 16954

Offline butchbass

on: January 13, 2012, 02:35:42 PM
There was a post several days ago about the Audio Nirvana speakers. Has anyone else used them? I have the 8" cast frames and am amazed at the sound. If you have them what size are they?

Butch Gross
Stereomour II/  Blumenstein Orcas, Dungenes/Schiit Bifrost Multibit/Amarra

Offline TonyMc

Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 10:20:23 AM
I've been doing a lot of "googleing" on the AN drivers lateley as I'm planning a build for the Super 10s.
I have read nothing, but positive remarks about them.
Kgoss has the Super 8s. Maybe he'll chime in.

Offline butchbass

Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 01:48:18 PM
Are you going to use a cabinet design by Common Sense Audio?

Butch Gross
Stereomour II/  Blumenstein Orcas, Dungenes/Schiit Bifrost Multibit/Amarra

Offline TonyMc

Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 06:34:00 AM
Are you going to use a cabinet design by Common Sense Audio?

I'll use the AN plans for now, but would like to build a BLH for them down the road.

4krow

Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 07:00:06 AM
I have owned the AN super 8 Alnico model for about one year. I am using in an open baffle design by Decware called the  ZOB. These speakers got better bass than expected, but there was a slight amount of midrange shout. To correct this, I used a device sold by Decware that is called the GIZMO. You can read about it on their site. It cured the problem, but you have to tune it with a pot. It is a type of transformer that can be tuned to absorb much of the shout. I also tried these drivers in a 1.4 cu. ft. box. A lot of bass, and I feel that they need a larger enclosure to breath in.   
  I am presently using the Decware FRX2 model, similar to the AN, but I like it better. Waaay more expensive though.

Offline TonyMc

Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 11:59:01 AM
How do you like the FRX2? It's a modified Dayton PS220-8 isn't it?

I'm waffling again. Now I'm looking at the Wild Burrow BetsyK driver. It's cheap, the specs look good, and it's a great looking driver IMHO.

4krow

Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 07:29:13 AM
For me, the FRX2 is what I have been looking for in a speaker. It is still breaking in, but so far, so good. My room has a little bit to be desired as far as acoustics, so I moved the speakers out into the room. That helps quite a bit. The modifications to this driver seem to be with the surround, and of course the back of the driver, which houses one of those transformers that I was talking about. For me, it is one of the main selling points since am sensitive to any shout that a speaker might have. I will try to post some photos to give an idea of what I have done so far.    Greg

Offline TonyMc

Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 07:22:07 AM
For me, it is one of the main selling points since am sensitive to any shout that a speaker might have.   Greg

You and me both.
The FRX2 is a beautiful driver no doubt.

Offline tuffy_puppy

Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 10:59:34 AM
hi all,  i have four pair of an speakers.  2 12" and 2 8".  being a confirmed phillistine i have nothing to say about any of the nuances others hear readily and i do not.  in this house there are a number of jobs these speakers have to do:  listening area,  several tv sites, etc.  to me they sound great.  a fine bargain also.  since i have obtained a bottlehead s e x 2.1 amp i no longer us a sub to get bass; it is already there.  as i say i am very ignorant in matters audio but i do know that these audio nirvana speakers sound truly fine to me.  as the great mr ellington said when asked how someone would know if music was good. response?  "if it sounds good then it is good"!   don pettit,  long beach, washington

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 06:43:56 PM
I am in the baffle refining stage with an open baffle using the AN Cast 8 combined with an Eminence Alpha 15A.  So far promising with the
Alpha 15a rolled off at about 250Hz.  The AN's were really hard to listen to until about 100 hours break in time.  Shoutiness is really reduced with off axis placement. 

Imaging and tonality are really nice.  Maybe keepers, once the baffle refinement is worked out. 

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

4krow

Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 10:20:35 AM
I have also used them in OB design, but the shoutiness problem was solved by using a special transformer in series with the driver. I obtained the transformer from Decware. It was designed just for this problem. In the meantime, I have switched to the FRX2 drivers, but I still have plans for these guys, as they sound really good in the appropriate enclosure. Audio Nirvana has some good ideas for that, but I am ALWAYS open to experimentation! To me, that is the life of audio.