Where I can buy some of the Russian Teflon caps (KK) for my Seduction?

Pfenning · 9622

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Kommie Kaps. Out of date now.

Paul Joppa

Offline Grainger49

KK=Kommie Kap, an affectionate nick name.

I didn't know what Wanderer says below about them being marked under that name.  Makes sense.

They were called that when we had a group buy of some 0.1uF@500V for the Paramours way back on the old forum.  That is what I have always heard them referred to.  The same name can refer to all USSR military surplus caps.  I have some fine sounding PIO 2.2uF@200 that I bought a drawer of (well, a dozen).  I still have 4 left.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 06:30:54 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Wanderer

anybody can shine some light on what KK stands for? thanks.

I believe it's "Kommie Kap" 'cause somebody sold them under that name for a while,  but I stand ready to be corrected.

A little "Googling" around I it seems I don't know what I am talking about. Type "KK" seems to be an ac coupling cap but I don't have a better answer and hope somebody else does.   

Kevin R-M
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 05:25:10 AM by Wanderer »

Kevin R-M

Offline tpatton

Someone may have said this already, but I'd do an eBay Search for "Russian Teflon FT-3 capacitors" and then look for listings by Ural Spirit.  Real name Dmitriy, and in my repeated experience a great guy to work with.  Buying a lot reduces the price (counting in the shipping) per cap, making them very cheap, and IMO they sound as good as any cap I've used, including Mundorf Premium Silver/Oil.  I've even made a clear improvement on a fancy pair of Black Gate caps, one of the fancy types, F or K (if memory serves), by using 0.1 uf FT-3's as bypasses.

Offline tpatton

I have a pair of .22 uF FT-3's in my Seduction, where the stock value is about double that.  Output caps, but I don't notice any bothersome loss of low frequencies.  They're physically big, and using two per channel would make things crowded, though I was prepared to do it in a larger custom chassis if I had to.  But I didn't have to.

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
I did order some .1uF and .47uF, now I just have to wait for them to arrive. I built one of Grainger's cap break in tools, and I'm breaking in some Vitamin Q caps to install in my Seduction. I plan to install them as soon as possible, and start the comparison to the stock caps. I'll have some time to live with the Vitamin Q's, due to the long break in time of the teflon caps. As soon as the Q's are broken in, I'm going to run the caps for my Paramour Iron upgrade through break in, and then the teflon caps. I'll try to report back on each step. Thanks for the advise on the KK's and thanks to Grainger for sharing his cap break in device.

Pfenning

Pfenning

Paramour 1's with c4s and iron upgrade, Foreplay II, Seduction with c4s, Crack (stock) and Foreplay III (waiting to be built), DIY turntable with Rega RB250 arm with Incognito wiring, Oppo DVD, Pi Stage 4's and DIY subs

Offline sl-15

Someone may have said this already, but I'd do an eBay Search for "Russian Teflon FT-3 capacitors" and then look for listings by Ural Spirit.  Real name Dmitriy, and in my repeated experience a great guy to work with.  

that is good news. i just ordered from dmitriy last weekend. he was really good at communicating and the caps are already on their way. i got two 0.47uF PIO (K40Y), two 1.0uF PIO (K42Y) and two 0.1uF FT-3 Teflons. i am planning on trying out the 0.47uF PIO in my Seduction as output caps first, then try the 1.0uF and when i like what i am hearing i am putting the Teflon caps in, replacing  the stock interstage caps. curious to see how the PIO and Teflon mix will sound like. i expect the caps to show up within the next two weeks and will burn them in the Graingner way. i finally got inspired by all the great info here and in particular by the photos and cap mix that were posted by jamestw here:
http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,2403.0.html
i will report back once things are burned in and when i got some impressions.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 07:20:18 PM by sl-15 »

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline Grainger49

Don't overlook the FT-2, K72P-6 KK Teflons.  They are just packaged differently.

Ignore the Doorknob caps, low values very high voltages.