Hi $ Fuses

Tickwomp · 9523

Offline Tickwomp

Reply #30 on: February 01, 2012, 04:42:54 AM
I like what I hear, and I'm pleased with the purchase.  YMMV, but IMO if you don't at least try them for yourselves, you're leaving some performance on the table.  My system is pretty resolving and I love the way it sounds, but I know that it can and will be better.  

When I get home today, I'll have a new Pi Audio BatteryBuss waiting for me.  My Mach2 Mac Mini is already DC powered (directly off a 12v battery (connected to a charger)), and from all my research, adding the BatteryBuss will audible improvements.  Also ordered and am waiting for a Firewire 800 cable (built with no power) to go from my music storage drive to the Mac Mini.  Again, I expect additional improvement.  

Everything is relative, but honestly $55 is a cheap night out.  You guys get to gether and decide who the biggest cynic is amonst yourselves and I'll send him a fuse to try for Themselves.  If you don't like, fine send it back to me.  If you keep it, I expect you to post on the board that you have been proven wrong.  

Mach2 Mac Mini->Amarra Mini-> Chronos Athena USB Cable->Audio Note 4.1LE DAC->24ga Ag w/WBT0101ag ICs-> Audio Note L4 Remote->24ga Ag w/WBT0102Ag ICs-> Paramounts w/MQ Nickel Opts and EML 2a3 Mesh Plates->16ga Ag Bi Wire->Klipsch RF-7 w/DeanG Mods

Offline Grainger49

Reply #31 on: February 01, 2012, 05:16:19 AM
Tim,

Rather than skid the original poster's thread further sideways, you have a PM.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #32 on: February 01, 2012, 07:42:00 AM
The problem with logic is usually that it draws conclusions from premises, which are often untrue in ways that we do not yet understand, or are unable to believe. Not to mention, as statisticians know but are largely unable to impart to others, proving that something is untrue is entirely different from not proving that it is true.

Paul Joppa

Offline Tickwomp

Reply #33 on: February 01, 2012, 09:11:47 AM
The problem with logic is usually that it draws conclusions from premises, which are often untrue in ways that we do not yet understand, or are unable to believe. Not to mention, as statisticians know but are largely unable to impart to others, proving that something is untrue is entirely different from not proving that it is true.

Your rock Paul!  That was very ZAMM sounding (Robert M. Persig).

Mach2 Mac Mini->Amarra Mini-> Chronos Athena USB Cable->Audio Note 4.1LE DAC->24ga Ag w/WBT0101ag ICs-> Audio Note L4 Remote->24ga Ag w/WBT0102Ag ICs-> Paramounts w/MQ Nickel Opts and EML 2a3 Mesh Plates->16ga Ag Bi Wire->Klipsch RF-7 w/DeanG Mods

Offline Roger

Reply #34 on: February 01, 2012, 09:19:45 AM
Some hear a difference and some don't. Some wants to spend the $ and some don't. So what. Let's agree to disagree.
Roger

Roger
VPI Classic (record player), Trigon advance (RIAA), Electrocompaniet EMC1-up (CD-player), BorderPatrol (line), Paramount v1.1 2A3 (power), Avantgarde Acoustics Duo Grosso (speakers)

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #35 on: February 01, 2012, 09:56:59 AM
Paul,  Nicely said.

Ken, glad to hear that your experiment worked out and you like the results.  Just because mine weren't as positive as yours (not negative either) doesn't mean that your results are invalid or due to some psychological effect.

A lot of the AC power related tweaks have great variability in their effectiveness depending on your local power conditions, house wiring, other appliances in the house, etc.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #36 on: February 01, 2012, 10:28:50 AM
This hobby is as much about hanging out with the people who you find to have similar taste, hearing, lusts, etc., as it is about the gear. I think in this particular audio community there is not much point in trying to impose one's own set of boundaries upon others. That's not to say that it can't be the part of the hobby that one enjoys most. I mean, there could be a sort of audio dom and audio sub kind of relationship. I haven't really seen too much of it here, but there might be other forums where an audio top could find an audio bottom. Audio Asylum comes to mind, as it has special areas devoted to the expression of viewpoints in a passionate manner.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #37 on: February 01, 2012, 01:52:41 PM
Ken,

Forgot to add that I think you're going to like that battery buss!  Are you also powering your music storage drive from it?  Can you tell me where you got the firewire cable with the power leg removed?  I can't seem to find the MBS cable anymore.

Thanks,

Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline corndog71

Reply #38 on: February 01, 2012, 01:59:03 PM
This hobby is as much about hanging out with the people who you find to have similar taste, hearing, lusts, etc., as it is about the gear. I think in this particular audio community there is not much point in trying to impose one's own set of boundaries upon others. That's not to say that it can't be the part of the hobby that one enjoys most. I mean, there could be a sort of audio dom and audio sub kind of relationship. I haven't really seen too much of it here, but there might be other forums where an audio top could find an audio bottom. Audio Asylum comes to mind, as it has special areas devoted to the expression of viewpoints in a passionate manner.

You just can't help sneaking sex into conversations about audio, can you?  No worries.  It's always entertaining.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #39 on: February 01, 2012, 02:24:12 PM
Hey man, you're the one who said sex, not me. ;^)>

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Tickwomp

Reply #40 on: February 01, 2012, 03:56:35 PM
Ken,

Forgot to add that I think you're going to like that battery buss!  Are you also powering your music storage drive from it?  Can you tell me where you got the firewire cable with the power leg removed?  I can't seem to find the MBS cable anymore.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

Check out the Mach2 site under accessories for the FW800 cables.

I just sat down to listen for a couple hours and looking forward to good things!  Today i got the FW cable (surprised it arrived so quickly, and I wasn't expecting it in the box).  I'm using the BB to power the Phantom Quad (music storage) too.

Listening to Poco Glorybound at the moment and wow!

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #41 on: February 01, 2012, 05:32:38 PM
Ken,

Great -- found and ordered the cable -- they changed the name, and perhaps a few details from the previous version, but for me this was the last piece of the puzzle.  Now if I could only remember where I put my audiophilleo ap2 converter, I'll be in business...

-- Jim

Offline Chris

Reply #42 on: February 01, 2012, 06:55:38 PM
I think All of you are proven gentlemen of the highest degree displayed by nobody getting their backs up... If he had an improvement and is happy, superb... Happens to us all in one unexplained audio phenomenon (tweak) or another... FWIW, i agree with every post and it is GREAT that we can discuss topics like this without any childish nonsense,  and we SHOULD be able to also!.... The ONLY statement in question i had was the LSD one (enhancing musical enjoyment)...... I had a friend MANY years ago, deciding to try some (LSD) , and his report back to me was that music was not his concern at the time, his TOP priority was RUNNING from Fred Flintstone wielding a knife....... (true statement) :) ......  If any of you HAVENT checked  out the Peter and May Belt audio tweak site yet... it is a pretty fun read....  Including the writing of a positive message on the cd which also can improve the  sound, as well as applying some electret cream to your listening room and for even better results, the entire outside of your house! :) (not intended to bash the Belts).....   You are ALL Gentlemen and Scholars, and i am proud to be here with you guys....... :) and that is a cool idea, everybody chip in 5 bucks for the fuse, and send it on a roadtrip for everyone (who wants to) to try....... proof should be in the puddin"

Offline Chris

Reply #43 on: February 02, 2012, 05:52:28 PM
Yes, He said the Flintstones were on his t.v. at the time.... So apparently, Hanna-Barbera and LSD is a bad combo....... i am sure none of us here have to worry about this of course... so to recap... Drinking and Driving.... HB and LSD are NOT good ideas.... just trying to help....:)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #44 on: February 03, 2012, 04:17:03 AM
No!  I drink Bourbon when listening at least once a week.  And right now the pain med and muscle relaxer leave me almost hallucinogenic.