Hook Up Wire for Foreplay

dtaylo1066 · 10287

Offline dtaylo1066

on: November 23, 2009, 07:51:17 AM
Well, I have had a Foreplay kit in my closet that I bought on Ebay at least 5 years ago.  All stuff still in packages and I am just opening.  Looking with great anticipation -- no pun intended -- to build over Thanksgiving.  Guide booklet is "Rev. 2.0" and copyrighted 2000. Paper in the box denotes the $149 price point and was shipped to original buyer on 7/3/03.  Thus, some vintage Foreplay here indeed.  I glued up the base last night and am ready to go.  Yippeeeee.

Question:  I have some nice 18 gauge hoop up wire, solid core.  OK to use that, or should I get 20-22 gauge as guide suggests?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 09:33:23 AM
22 gauge wire will be easier to work with because there are a few points where more than one wire inserts in a terminal and the fatter 18 ga. will be harder to squeeze in.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline dtaylo1066

Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 02:55:25 PM
Gracias, Foreplay master.  I have nabbed some 22 gauge and will soon be off and running...er, soldering.  Have to wait a bit for the stain on the base to dry.  Looking damn good after a massive 220 grit sanding party and two coats of Minwax Poly-stain.  Upgraded to gold RCA inputs and outputs, but had to drill the holes a tad larger on the cover plate to fit the more beefy RCA units.  A nice new and sharp bit made the task easy.

I bought the never unpacked kit on E-bay for I think $125 in '03, a tad less than the then outragious $149 kit price.  That's less then the cost of my ticket to the Bronco game vs. the Charges yesterday!  And the game sucked, whereas tube audio rocks!

Ah, the enduring value of audio and DIY!  You've just got to be kitting!