Build question

Oldlistener50 · 2900

Offline Oldlistener50

on: January 22, 2012, 08:39:32 AM
My Seduction has shipped (according to the shipping status page - yeah) and I have my tools and Cardas solder ready to go.

My question is, are the assembly instructions shipped with the kit updated with the latest info as of the date they are shipped?  For example I think there is a change in the orientation for the female power receptacle (though I may be mistaken).  Just wondering if I should build per the instructions in the kit or if I need to hunt down any posted updates.

Thanks!!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 09:04:16 AM
Seduction is our longest running kit (11 years) and consequently there have been a few changes over the years, but nothing major.
Here's what we do differently when we build one at the lab -

Turn the IEC socket around if you plan to try our power cord kit. For the stock power cord supplied with the kit it doesn't matter.

Don't use nylon standoffs to mount the power transformer, just mount it right to the chassis plate. You can also turn the transformer either way, it doesn't really matter.

You will also find that some of the caps and resistors look different than the ones in the photos. That is the nature of a long running product, it tends to outlive some of the components originally specified. The current parts are equal or better quality.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Laudanum

Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 02:43:20 AM

Don't use nylon standoffs to mount the power transformer, just mount it right to the chassis plate. You can also turn the transformer either way, it doesn't really matter.

OK, I missed this along the way.   The standoffs were included, I used them.  What is the benefit and/or difference of not using them?

Thanks

Desmond G.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 04:48:18 AM
The first transformer in Seduction, like mine, radiated a little hum to one channel.  The PT-1, if I have the nomenclature right here, was the first power transformer designed by Bottlehead (Paul Joppa).  It is shielded and was at first mounted on the standoffs.  It turns out that it is so well shielded the standoffs are not necessary.

Offline Laudanum

Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 07:10:47 AM
OK, so since there is no advantage or disadvantage to the standoffs, I'll just leave the PT-1 as installed, on the standoffs.   Thanks Grainger.

Desmond G.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 09:52:46 AM
If I recall correctly (a big if!) we moved the original transformer to the standoffs shortly after the kit was introduced, which got it a bit further from the nearest tube. I was at the time working on a new power transformer for Foreplay, which had slightly greater ratings - just enough so it could be used in Seduction too. But it was not quiet enough for that, and our winding house suggested we add the combination electric and magnetic shielding. That made it quiet enough for Seduction but we didn't at the time return to the original mounting method. Meanwhile, we had decided to go to the much larger PT-3 for Foreplay, providing enough spare power to use DC heaters and the gas regulator tube - two big improvements. So, that PT-1 never did get into the Foreplay. The lab is littered with great ideas that were superseded before they were implemented. :^)

Paul Joppa

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 11:14:34 AM
Paul's memory is better than mine.  I now remember that there were standoffs before the PT-1 went into the Seduction.

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 04:20:01 PM
Just to clarify, if one (say myself) did build the Seduction with the standoffs for the transformer, I take it that it wouldn't be a problem?  I also guess that there would be no benefit to removing the standoffs if they were installed?

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 07:01:04 PM
It looks a little dorky, and is a little quieter, with the standoffs. You can't see or hear either difference once it's installed.

Paul Joppa

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 05:15:21 PM
I'll take quieter over dorky.  If anyone looking under the hood comments, I'll just say it is part of the awesome Bottlehead 3D design spec. 

If nothing else, it reminds me of my Grandparents cottage on the Mississippi.  They had to put it on standoffs to deal with the regular flooding.

BTW, I totally love my seduction and will have to get around to posting some pictures in the gallery. 

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie